changed motherboard now black screen on gpu ok on apu

jimski53

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
I damaged the motherboard by connecting gpu to wrong modular psu outlet and ive rebuilt pc which works fine using apu but when i try to run hdmi from gpu it black screens if i plug back into motherboard all is ok i had to reset windows 8.1 which cleared all my 3rd party software so ive downloaded motherboard drivers, latest amd drivers ive also tried cd drive that came with gpu sytem specs are
a10 7850
msi a88xm-e35
8gb 1600mhz
ASUS 2GB GDDR5 Radeon R9 270 DIRECTCU II OC
cit 500wat psu
the system worked fine for over a month before so psu is ok but i have bought a xfx 550 pro to befitted next week an i did replace cpu cooler zalman x5 performa changed to antec kuhler h2o 650 but i dont think the power draw from that couldmake much difference im guessing its either a driver issue or gpu was damaged when mobo an hdd went bad but when connected gpu green light is on and fans run ive also been able to monitor it inhwinfo and all seems ok but when i connect hdmi lead thru card all i get is a black screen i tried changing gpu preferred settings in bios and there is no diable apu option
any help would be great

Solution
That's all understandable. We weren't all born "good" at this. You'll get better if you stay open minded and keep asking good questions. If you are worried about your bios, try to find the current version you have and save it somewhere so you can flash that as well if need be. Some mobos will not let you revert your bios but you should be ok. It's usually better to have the latest but I've read those articles that warn if it isn't broken don't fix it which was true more back in the day but as of late it tends to be more favorable than not to update your bios. This isn't to say that issues do not occur but you are already experiencing them so there is little to no risk and much more good to gain. I concur that the last component...

jnewegger23

Distinguished
Actually it could be a power supply issue. I'm not familiar with cit but 500W is the minimum requirement:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_r7_260x_r9_270x_280x_review_benchmarks,10.html

Not all psu's are built the same. I'm very confident that when you replace with the new 550 even though I'm not a fan of xfx I've at least heard of them, that your issue just may be resolved. No knock on cit but I'll google them and I'm betting they are not a top tier psu and that very well could be the issue; simply put, you cannot rule it out but you may still be right that it's a driver issue instead. This all noted please remain open minded to the idea is all I'm really saying and if I happen to be correct then great if not so be it.
Also damaging your mobo is not a good sign but you said it was because of user error so we'll look the other way again for now.
I've warned many people that you can get away with a poor psu for a while but somewhere down the line whether it's just the one new hard drive, usb reader, or single x factor that pushes it to it's limit... you can start destroying components. For $30 more get the better psu, you're already spending nearly 1,000 or some times triple or more than that. Even at $500 you should spend the extra $ no? You're already upgrading so I'll stop the rant here.

Moving forward, I don't see that you've updated your bios. I'm guessing you have but if not then sometimes that causes the latest drivers to work improperly. Please look into that in the mean time until you can replace your psu.

Hope this helps! Good luck and have fun!

Thanks,

Justin S.

jimski53

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
thanks for reply maybe adding the watercooler knocked the gpu option of the table the cit psu is not good not 80+ and probaly not 500wat so lets hope your right im no expert and the software side of the build is much more testing than the hardware lol i bought a flash drive to update bios as ive read flash bios is better than other options with this board but im not that experienced this was my first build and im worried if i mess up bios ill be in big trouble the version i have is 3.0

jnewegger23

Distinguished
That's all understandable. We weren't all born "good" at this. You'll get better if you stay open minded and keep asking good questions. If you are worried about your bios, try to find the current version you have and save it somewhere so you can flash that as well if need be. Some mobos will not let you revert your bios but you should be ok. It's usually better to have the latest but I've read those articles that warn if it isn't broken don't fix it which was true more back in the day but as of late it tends to be more favorable than not to update your bios. This isn't to say that issues do not occur but you are already experiencing them so there is little to no risk and much more good to gain. I concur that the last component may have pushed an already stressed gpu past it's limit. I'd run onboard graphics until you get your xfx 550.

Solution