Question Changed my CPU to i9 from i5 - now it won't start. HELP!

Dec 3, 2019
Hey guys!
Thanks for taking the time to read my post and hopefully help me out.

I'm very new into this but I just upgraded my pc to a Intel i9 9900K from a i5 9600k. In the same time I changed my RAM Corsair Vengance 2x8Gb 2186Mhz to Corsair Vengance 2x16gb 3200Mhz.

It all went great at the beginning. I got the screen that my new CPU had been installed and I had to go in BIOS to set it up.
I choose the option to boot it from my hard drive and the computer and pressed enter. When I did this the computer went into a boot loop for a few minutes. Nothing showing up on the screen. Just boot looping with a few seconds in between.

I turned the computer off, took the power cord out and tried to start the computer again. This time the computer started but there is still a black screen. When I'm looking at my motherboard I see a yellow light at DRAM. I use the Asus Z390-H Gaming motherboard.
When I start the computer it does not seem to have any type of connection with either my monitors or keyboard.

I've spent a couple of hours googling to try to solve the problem, but I can't seem to find anything.
What should I do?

I'm a streamer and I spent a lot of my saved money for this upgrade and now it does not even start.

I would be really thankful if someone could help me.

Dec 3, 2019
reset CMOS and dont touch anything
I followed the guide how to do that at Asus website. It still does not help. It seems like I don't get any signal to my keyboard, it's not lighting up like it always do. So when I press delete during the boot, nothing happens. Do you have any ideas?

Dec 3, 2019
ASUS web page for your mobo states that your new CPU is supported since BIOS version 2203. Do you have that or a later BIOS version?
I'm not sure to be honest. I bought my computer in late March and I can see 2203 was released a few weeks earlier. I have not manually downloaded any update for BIOS. I can't obviously start up the PC to check, so I'll guess my best bet is to go back to my old CPU, download and install the latest BIOS and do it all over again, right?
Thank you all for taking the time to help me. I really really appreciate it.

Dec 3, 2019
I just checked ASUS webpage as well. My old CPU is a Core i5 9600K 3,7Ghz 9MB. That one is also supported from 2203, although that CPU works.
Wouldn't I have the same problems with my old CPU as well if I didn't have 2203 installed already?

Put the old 9600k back in and see if the computer boots up. If it does see what bios version you're on and if an older one install the newest.

Once that is done install the 9900k and see if it boots.

If the computer wont boot with the older 9600k check for bent pins on the CPU socket.

Dec 3, 2019
Put the old 9600k back in and see if the computer boots up. If it does see what bios version you're on and if an older one install the newest.

Once that is done install the 9900k and see if it boots.

If the computer wont boot with the older 9600k check for bent pins on the CPU socket.
I did just as you said. No bent pins on the CPU socket. Now I got the same problem with my other computer as well after I changed everything back.
This is a mystery.
So the computer starts up, all the fans are turning on. The only thing that does not seem to work from what I can see right now is the peripherals like my monitor, keyboard and mouse

tiggers97

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
If you have the same issue going back to your original configuration (that you said worked fine before), and you confirmed that you have the latest BIOS (and did a CMOS reset), you might also check;
  1. loose connections.
  2. The CPU is properly seated and secured in place.
  3. That you have no bent pins (doesn't hurt to double check) and the contacts on the CPU are good.
  4. there isn't any dust, hair, thermal paste, etc on or around the pins.
  5. Memory modules are properly seated
5a. memory slots are clean.

InvalidError

Titan
So the computer starts up, all the fans are turning on. The only thing that does not seem to work from what I can see right now is the peripherals like my monitor, keyboard and mouse
Nope. If your computer stays on but does not appear to be doing anything else, it is likely crashed in BIOS and very much NOT working.

Aside from bent socket pins and dirty CPU pads, the next most common causes for CPUs not working in LGA sockets are the latch not being closed properly and excessive HSF mounting force.

Hey guys!
Thanks for taking the time to read my post and hopefully help me out.

I'm very new into this but I just upgraded my pc to a Intel i9 9900K from a i5 9600k. In the same time I changed my RAM Corsair Vengance 2x8Gb 2186Mhz to Corsair Vengance 2x16gb 3200Mhz.

It all went great at the beginning. I got the screen that my new CPU had been installed and I had to go in BIOS to set it up.
I choose the option to boot it from my hard drive and the computer and pressed enter. When I did this the computer went into a boot loop for a few minutes. Nothing showing up on the screen. Just boot looping with a few seconds in between.

I turned the computer off, took the power cord out and tried to start the computer again. This time the computer started but there is still a black screen. When I'm looking at my motherboard I see a yellow light at DRAM. I use the Asus Z390-H Gaming motherboard.
When I start the computer it does not seem to have any type of connection with either my monitors or keyboard.

I've spent a couple of hours googling to try to solve the problem, but I can't seem to find anything.
What should I do?

I'm a streamer and I spent a lot of my saved money for this upgrade and now it does not even start.

I would be really thankful if someone could help me.

try using a single stick of RAM first.
make sure it

Ravi Sankar

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Put the old CPU for time being and try to boot with New RAM (to make sure new RAM not a problem). Once you verified it is fine you see if you can get BIOS update, if so, please do that.

After BIOS update, then try putting new CPU, and check, if you still could not get your PC booted, then you will have another option, i.e. Checking your CPU on some other mother board, then your next step would be RMA the CPU

I think if you could see your BIOS settings with new CPU then new CPU is fine

Dec 3, 2019
I did a RMA, they said something was wrong with the motherboard and it's not covered by the warranty.
I bought a new one. Still got issues though. This time I can access the bios but every time I start window everything freezes up.
CPU seems to be fine. RAM seems to be fine. I've tried my SSD in another computer and it seems to be working. I can access it at least.
I tried to reinstall windows from the bios with a windows memory stick. The computer still freezes every time I'm reaching the ASUS ROG starting screen.

Can you get into the BIOS with your OLD cpu and OLD ram? If you can, then keep reading...

Update your BIOS to the latest BIOS. Yes, I know, the ASUS website states that both i5-9600k and the i9-9900k are supported with BIOS version 2203. However, your i9-9900k may have a different 'stepping' that requires a BIOS update to your motherboard.

I had a similar issue with my Gigabyte z390 motherboard. All the documentation on my mb stated that an i5-9600k is supported out of the box. However, MY i5-9600k has a different 'stepping' than the i5-9600k's stepping that was supported out of the box. The stepping supported out of the box was 'P0', and my i5-9600k has a stepping of 'R0', which is a later stepping that required me to update the BIOS on my motherboard. My guess is your i5-9600k has 'P0' stepping that was supported by your motherboard out of the box. If you bought the i9-9900k recently, it may have a later stepping that requires a BIOS update.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antony...dows-10-without-new-bios-update/#51a80c1e127d

Last edited: