Question Changed out CPU now computer turns off after 20 seconds

Mar 3, 2022
Changed out my old and Ryzen 2700x for a new 5950x and the computer will only stay on for about a minute before just shutting off unless its on the blue recovery screen it sits at the screen with no issues but when I continue and start it up all the way it will just shut off again

kanewolf

Titan
Changed out my old and Ryzen 2700x for a new 5950x and the computer will only stay on for about a minute before just shutting off unless its on the blue recovery screen it sits at the screen with no issues but when I continue and start it up all the way it will just shut off again
Did you verify that the BIOS supported the 5950 before swapping? Did you verity that the 5950 was supported at all on your motherboard ?

Mar 3, 2022
What is the make/model of your motherboard? Also, what make/model is your CPU cooler?

When you installed the new CPU, did you also reset your BIOS to its default state?

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 2080-8GB
(VR-Ready)

Motherboard
MSI X470 GAMING PLUS--RGB, Gb
LAN, USB 3.1 (4 Rear, 6 Front),
Unique MSI Gaming Tools

Power Supply
600 Watt Standard 80 PLUS Gold
Advance Cabling Standard Default Cables
Options

Primary Hard
3TB Hard Drive-64MB Cache,
Drive
7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

256 GB SSD - boot
2TB SSD

Sound Card
3D Premium Surround Sound

Network Card
Gigabyte GC-WB11ACD-IAC400
Wireless Network Card 802.11ac

Operating
System
Windows 10 Home + Office 365
Trial [FREE 30 Day Trial]-(64-bit)

External USB
Accessories
Dual-Band up to 433 Mbps +
Bluetooth 4.2

ASUS Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter
Up to 3Mbps Data Rate; Plug and
Play

240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System couldn't tell you the make it was a prebuilt computer before I changed out the gpu and added the extra ram but I've had everything else working for the last few years

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
On the top left of that board, right above that large heat-shield are 2 headers. A 8pin and a 4pin. The 5950 can well demand that both are populated as those are the EPS supplementary cpu power connectors. If that 600w psu doesn't have 2x 4+4pin EPS/CPU or at least 1x 4+4pin and additional 4pin, the cpu might not accept the mobo.

Mar 3, 2022
On the top left of that board, right above that large heat-shield are 2 headers. A 8pin and a 4pin. The 5950 can well demand that both are populated as those are the EPS supplementary cpu power connectors. If that 600w psu doesn't have 2x 4+4pin EPS/CPU or at least 1x 4+4pin and additional 4pin, the cpu might not accept the mobo.
It's got 2 4+4 and the last 4 pin is open and now the PC won't even go through the boot process and put anything on my screen but is still shutting off just the same

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Will the rig boot properly with the original CPU? Did you install the beta BIOS version?