[SOLVED] Changed processor and motherboard issue

Etinbeau

Commendable
Jul 25, 2020
Hello,
Recently I purchased a new motherboard ( asrock z390 extreme4) and processor (intell i7 9700k) and had recently installed it into my old pc. I had also cleaned off my old processor fan and reapplied thermal paste ( size of a pea) in the middle and placed the fan back down. When I turned the pc on everything ran smooth and fast.
The problem is now when I play a game, my cpu seems to overheat and my computer just shuts off. When I turn my pc on I notice all my fans running and work but for some reason my pc still fails to stay cool. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,
Recently I purchased a new motherboard ( asrock z390 extreme4) and processor (intell i7 9700k) and had recently installed it into my old pc. I had also cleaned off my old processor fan and reapplied thermal paste ( size of a pea) in the middle and placed the fan back down. When I turned the pc on everything ran smooth and fast.
The problem is now when I play a game, my cpu seems to overheat and my computer just shuts off. When I turn my pc on I notice all my fans running and work but for some reason my pc still fails to stay cool. Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Did you do a fresh OS install along with the hardware upgrade ?

Etinbeau

Commendable
Jul 25, 2020
I have an intel cpu fan that just says 12v. But before I had an i5 and I never had this bad of an issue with the heating.

Also i didnt do a fresh os install. I did update some windows drivers but not a install of windows itself.

kanewolf

Titan
I have an intel cpu fan that just says 12v. But before I had an i5 and I never had this bad of an issue with the heating.

Also i didnt do a fresh os install. I did update some windows drivers but not a install of windows itself.
Without a fresh OS install, it is difficult to say what is the problem. Your OS still has lots of stuff in the registry related to the old motherboard.

Etinbeau

Commendable
Jul 25, 2020
Im very new to this so I have a few more questions.
Would a fresh install wipe everything off my computer or just the driver the os is on? And how does someone do a fresh install?

USAFRet

Titan
Im very new to this so I have a few more questions.
Would a fresh install wipe everything off my computer or just the driver the os is on? And how does someone do a fresh install?
Yes, everything will be wiped off.
What storage devices do you have in this, and what, specifically, is on them?

How to...

Etinbeau

Commendable
Jul 25, 2020
I have two ssd memories and 1 hard-drive I believe. I most just had video games and some things like pictures and such. I believe the os is located on one of the ssd's and my games and pictures on the others.

Ok so i do the clean install and if the issue comes back, is there something I should post or link here like an error report if I receive one?

USAFRet

Titan
I have two ssd memories and 1 hard-drive I believe. I most just had video games and some things like pictures and such. I believe the os is located on one of the ssd's and my games and pictures on the others.

Ok so i do the clean install and if the issue comes back, is there something I should post or link here like an error report if I receive one?
Disconnect ALL except the one with Windows on it.
Power up.
Does the system boot (sort of) boot properly?

Jul 25, 2020
Hello,
Did u oc if u did put it back down

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020

Your fine nothing to do with having to do a clean install. WIth WInblows 10 you can change motherboards CPU's etc a whole new system without formatting. Also instead of a clean install there is always the reset PC option where it puts a clean version of Windows with nothing installed but doesn't delete your data and important files you have on your system. I wouldn't recommend doing this tho as you don't have to in your situation. I think the cooler is a POS and tellilng us you brought it over from a i5 to a monster 9700k CPU which games just as fast as a 9900k or 10900k if you don't look at exact FPS in gaming situations. Your CPU will work about 40 percent avg and doing that for a period of time you need good cooling. The CPU shuts off to prevent the CPU from burning up and blowing up lol. So defintely this is a HSF and CPU contact issue and a fact that the cheapo cooler can't properly cool your new 9700k CPU. I would look into buying a new HSF cooler... something like a Hyper 212 would be ideal for that CPU and even if your overclock. Either you have a contact issue and didn't apply paste properly or the cooler is not sufficient for that CPU. I believe the latter and that you need to buy a new cooler like I said and make sure to not use too much paste or to little. Put a dab on the middle and spread it across the CPU then install your new cooler and tighten it up without chipping the motherboard and you will be set. Let us know of any further questions. ;)

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Yeah, sure.
As much as we'd ALL like it to be that way...it simply is not.

Sometimes it works
Sometimes it fails
Sometimes you are chasing issues for weeks.
Well my cousin went from a old quad core Intel to a AMD Ryzen 2700x I got for him and everything is fine and no crashes and no problems. Also when my old 4930k CPU and mobo died I temporarily had to use a Sandy Bridge CPU and non HEDT mobo and I put in my m.2 with adapter and it booted right into Windows and gave zero issues. So yes with Windows 10 you can do this and Linus from linustechtips does it all the time.

USAFRet

Titan
Well my cousin went from a old quad core Intel to a AMD Ryzen 2700x I got for him and everything is fine and no crashes and no problems. Also when my old 4930k CPU and mobo died I temporarily had to use a Sandy Bridge CPU and non HEDT mobo and I put in my m.2 with adapter and it booted right into Windows and gave zero issues. So yes with Windows 10 you can do this and Linus from linustechtips does it all the time.
As said...sometimes it works.
I've personally had it work.
I've personally had it fail.

And we see the fail part of this here every single day.

Linus doesn't count. He is making a TV show. You don't see the whole staff behind the scenes, and the 20 times they tried it and it failed.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

Etinbeau

Commendable
Jul 25, 2020
sorry for the late response.
so i went ahead and bought a new cooler and it worked wonders. i went from a stable 70c to down to 30c in idle. i remember asking the store i purchased from if my system would be ok to run it and if i had all the parts needed but apparently we must have overlooked the cooler. so far everything has been running decent and im not seeing huge spikes in temp anymore.

i had also did a clean install of windows 10 and the link in the thread earlier explained it perfectly for someone really new to this.
again i appreciate everyone here who helped me with this as pretty much everyone was hitting this right on the head the whole time. again thank you all so very much!

Reactions: GarrettL