Changed settings in BIOS now PC wont start

kampotte

Reputable
Dec 20, 2018
I altered the boot order in BIOS settings and changed from legacy to start from EFI (cause was trying to reinstall windows via USB drive). After restaring the PC, IT just gets stuck on "please press DEL to enter uefi bios setting"(wont react to keyboard). I've tried removing the CMOS battery, removed the second harddrive, unplugged and plugged usb drives (unplugged usb flash from the beggining tho). Still have the same problem.
Asus P8z68 deluxe motherboard, had it on legacy. Please help.

Solution
Just removing the CMOS battery won't do anything if your PSU is still providing standby power to the motherboard. You have to cut that power supply, by disconnecting the PSU cable from the wall or by turning the PSU switch off. In the end you should also do what you did, by pressing the power button while the PSU isn't receiving power you are discharging its capacitors which cuts all the power to the motherboard thus managing to clear the CMOS. Of course you also have the jumper (or push button) option on the motherboard, which does the same thing and you don't have to remove the CMOS battery. Good luck.

kampotte

Reputable
Dec 20, 2018
Well i've actually pressed the power button after extracting the battery, now it works fine. You just need to reset bios. Maybe this thread will help someone else.

Just removing the CMOS battery won't do anything if your PSU is still providing standby power to the motherboard. You have to cut that power supply, by disconnecting the PSU cable from the wall or by turning the PSU switch off. In the end you should also do what you did, by pressing the power button while the PSU isn't receiving power you are discharging its capacitors which cuts all the power to the motherboard thus managing to clear the CMOS. Of course you also have the jumper (or push button) option on the motherboard, which does the same thing and you don't have to remove the CMOS battery. Good luck.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS