[SOLVED] Changed the Video Folder Location to My User Folder

Jan 11, 2022
Hi, I made a stupid mistake and changed the location of my Videos folder and mapped it to C:\Users\MyUserName. This changed the content of the C:\Users folder instead of my username to "Videos". Inside the folder "Videos" (that was an empty folder) i see my Desktop, Favorites, Search, my Contacts and everything that supposed to be included in my user's file.

I think that functionally this still works and the video folder functions as my username folder and my video folder now but I find it incredibly annoying and really want to restore this to default. I am unable to though. The solution posted on many of these threads is: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...t-location-personal-folders-windows-10-a.html

But that doesn't work. When I follow the directions I get a notification "Can't redirect a parent into a child. The specified path is invalid. I have also tried doing it where I don't try to move all of the files over as I attempt to restore the default but that gives this error message: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied. I know when I initially made the mistake I stupidly clicked accept to the fact that Windows said I wouldn't be able to restore the default location of the Videos folder so am I just screwed? Is there anyway to fix this?

Thank you so much for your help. If there is a way to fix this I will be so, so, so happy. I think this is just an aesthetic problem but it really bothers me. Thank you!

Jan 11, 2022
Something that is confusing is that when I type in C:\Users\smetz to my file explorer I get to see my old user file which has inside it a videos file. When I click on that video file the entirety of the user file is also in that file. This is confusing because I'm not sure whether the files are all on my computer twice now/whether they will generate twice on the computer. I'm honestly considering resetting the whole computer.

Jan 11, 2022
My impression was that I would have had to have already enabled system restore prior to making the mistake, which I also stupidly had not done. Is that not true?

Jan 11, 2022
OMG!!!!! I didn't think I had set it up but maybe I did. Nvidia had updated something like an hour before I made the mistake so I was able to do the restore. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am so pleased right now :)

Reactions: Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
One of its purposes is to create a restore point before installing new drivers, so you are really lucky Nvidia drivers had updated or it might have been a while before.

One step with moving libraries that I find useful is make the destination folder before you start
And make sure the destination folder is the right one before agreeing to the move.