• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Changed thermal paste and m.2 drive - can't boot or enter bios

Sep 20, 2019
Basically I opened up my PC in order to 1: add a new m.2 SSD and 2: change the thermal paste on the CPU. I removed my old m.2 and moved it to the m.2 connector that didn't have a heat spreader (this m.2 drive was black and I didn't want the new one, which was blue, to be visible) I then installed the new m.2 and also changed the thermal paste of the CPU. Now when I boot I simply get the message "press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI BIOS settings". I have tried two different keyboard plugged into every USB port imaginable and nothing at all happens, the same screen remains. Oh and I also can't boot, it's just stuck on this screen. I have also tried a CMOS reset to no avail.

Sep 20, 2019
Need details.
What specific make/model/size are the drives?
What specific make/model motherboard?
The MOBO is an ASUS PRIME X570-pro and the old drive is a Samsung 960 Evo 256GB and the new drive is a WD BLUE SN550 1TB. keep in mind neither drive is the boot drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
OK.
I asked about the drives and motherboard because a LOT of boards will disable one or more SATA ports when an M.2 drive is used.
That does not seem to be the case with your component config.

ASK THE COMMUNITY