Changeout Mobo and CPU WITH Fresh windows install

Brandon Stickle

Reputable
May 6, 2014
Hey guys, im going to attempt to upgrade my computers mobo and cpu before fallout 4 comes out but this was my first computer i built and while it was easy, mobo changes are a little sketchy, i keep finding threads with "Change mobo/CPU Without uninstalling Windows" and with the guides i find i feel like i wont be able to do it correctly and im fine with a fresh install.

Now what i would like todo is keep my original windows 7 key i bought off Amazon, (thats a system builder key right?) but is this legal right? I have read that as long as you have uninstalled the windows 7 on that hdd you can use it on another. I know we cant use OEM keys since they are tied to that specific motherboard. I really dont want to pay for another Windows key because i bought the windows key from amazon not that long ago (at least less than half a year)

i guess what im saying is i don't exactly know how to remove windows off the hdd 'correctly'.
Would i have to just nuke the hdd with "Dban" i think its called?
currently i have a lga 1155 asus mobo (specific model numbers aren't important..) w/ i3 2100 and i was planning on upgrading to a Intel Core i5-4690K but i'm seeing that the I5-6600K must have came out recently. i don't play massively intense games and dont run on 1080p resolution but these two are very close in price, would it be worth the extra $20 to grab the newer generation of CPU?

Hi Brandon,

1) You can buy both Retail and OEM keys off of Amazon, so you'll have to check to see which one you have.

2) If you have a retail key you will be able to simply re-install the OS fresh on your hard drive after your new motherboard is installed, no strings attached. As long as only 1 retail key is active on a PC at any given time it is ok.

3) If you have an OEM key you'll need to either: Buy a new license, OR install Windows 7 and get in touch with Windows Support to see if they will unflag your key for you. It's hit or miss with getting your OEM key unflagged, so don't count on it (but it's still worth a shot).

4) The i5-6600k isn't going to be a huge upgrade for raw gaming performance, but if you can afford to upgrade to the new Skylake chipset (LGA 1151) you will have more options to upgrade it later. You'll also need to get new DDR4 RAM with the Skylake build, so you might see some hidden costs pop up along the way.

Brandon Stickle

Reputable
May 6, 2014

Holy cow i didnt think of the hidden costs with the brand new processor, Skylake only supports ddr4? that sucks because this ddr3 is brand new... The 6600k really wouldn't be a big upgrade over a i3 2100? i mean its a i3.... there has to be some improvement... im not going to be playing a ton of current gen games, im sticking with the past games to be honest, Fallout 4 would probably be the only AAA game im interested in, i checked out Gamedebate and they told me with these specs:

i5 6500(or 6600k, Both gave same answer)
GTX 660
8gigs of ram

Would only let me play fallout 4 on at least medium settings, this is a little ridiculous, i mean i dont need anything super nice but if im spending this much money on a cpu i kinda expected at least high settings. i dont plan on upgrading my cpu every year... probably ever two years because this stuff is too expensive.

Even a Core i5-4690K wont be enough? i will not plan on overclocking.

If you just bought new DDR3 it would make sense to stick with a Haswell (LGA 1150) build. A good new Haswell build will still last you at least 3 years, so you shouldn't need to worry about upgrading too often.

The i5-4690k would be more than enough to handle Fallout 4, it is an incredibly powerful CPU and would actually be wasted if you weren't overclocking. If you aren't overclocking at all you don't need to pay for a 'K' model CPU, as they are unlocked specifically to enable OC'ing. The Intel Core i5-4590 would be the Haswell CPU to look at if you had no intention of overclocking, and it will still be able to handle current games for several more years to come.

If gaming with a i5-4590 and GTX 660 it would be your graphics card that would be holding you back on current gen games. The i5-4590 can support graphics cards all the way up to the GTX 980 without bottlenecking performance.

Brandon Stickle

Reputable
May 6, 2014

I think I was looking on amazon and the k-variant of the 4590's base clock is higher than the non-unlocked version which is why I thought I should grab it, for now I think my gtx 660 is enough and I won't need one anytime soon, the minimum requirements for fallout for require a gtx 550 while the recommendations are a 780 I believe, I'm not ready to spend $500 and more on a cpu/gpu and motherboard, I think I'm fine with that for now, one other question when you can answer that.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
With windows 7 OEM \ Builders the license is tied to the first motherboard it's installed on.With Windows 8.1 you can move it to another build when you are done with this one , but only one computer at a time.With Windows 8.1 you can change all the hardware you want including the motherboard.

Windows7-2.jpg

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

OEM vs. Retail

OEM Windows 7 comes preinstalled on computers. This is the cheapest way to buy windows. Large PC manufacturers like Dell, HP etc. (collectively called royalty OEMs) install windows on millions of such PCs. The main characteristics of such systems are:

The license agreement and support agreement is between you and the PC makes.

Activation by the end user is not required. Windows is preactivated at the factory by the OEM using images and standard SLP keys.

Your copy of windows is locked to that PC. The license is not transferable.

OEM system builder is what you get when you buy from say Newegg or from a local "white box" vendor. It too has the characteristics of Royalty OEM windows. Although it is possible for an individual to buy a System Builder copy, the license requires that the software be installed using the OPK (OEM preinstall kit) and then resold.

Retail version is what you buy from a retailer like Amazon or Bestbuy. Its a full price version that comes packaged in a retail box with a retail product key. It has to be activated online via MS servers using the key on the box, it is not tied to the PC it was first installed on, though it can only be used on a single computer at a time. And, MS directly provides the support for it. It is also more expensive than OEM copies.

As far as functionality is concerned, theres no difference between any of the versions above, given any specific edition (i.e. between OEM pro and retail pro, or between OEM ultimate and retail ultimate).

sevenforums.com

Windows8-1_zps0f2f36f7.png

Windows 8 is a whole different ballgame.

License agreement for the transfer of a Windows 8 license
http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

Brandon Stickle

Reputable
May 6, 2014

thanks for the info! so what you are saying is that not matter what license i bought on amazon its still tied to that motherboard and im forced to buy another overpriced operating system? :??: