Changibg app permisions in Android below Marshmellow???

edward78

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
In Marshmallow you can, but in older versions not... Anyway I found https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/manage-app-permissions-android-no-root-required-0161352/ it talks about an app for changing them, sounds good, but can it be trusted??? The its only requirement is that you've enabled Unknown sources is well, not sure about that...

Solution
Well new features are added to new OS versions routinely, even to Android, many of them based on user feedback. So it shouldn't really be regarded as "odd" if a feature is missing on an older version.

Agree with you about rooting though, I'd stay clear of that unless you have a spare phone as a backup in case the rooting process turns your phone in to a brick.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the ONLY way to change permissions in older versions is if it is rooted.

this app you found likely requires the phone to be rooted if you look at the fine print. there are 100's of them on the app store and are easy to find.

you need to see if you can root your phone and then lots of fun features opens up to you.

edward78

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010

Not wanting to mess my phone up, it is odd you can't just edit permissions on earlier versions...

Well new features are added to new OS versions routinely, even to Android, many of them based on user feedback. So it shouldn't really be regarded as "odd" if a feature is missing on an older version.

Agree with you about rooting though, I'd stay clear of that unless you have a spare phone as a backup in case the rooting process turns your phone in to a brick.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
rotting is not for the faint of heart for sure. only threw it out there as the ONLY way to get that feature on older android versions. really was needed for a long time and i'm glad google finally got around to added it in so you could have it on an unrooted device

so no matter what the app says you will not be able to change permissions unless your phone is rooted.