Question Changing a noisy cooling fan in a battery backup unit

Hello,

To set the context, we do have a battery backup with a very noisy cooling fan. Because of the generator, we need to use a double conversion unit, a non-double conversion unit will seeking to stay in battery mode.

The UPS unit is a TrippLite SU1000RTXL2Ua.

When the cooling fan is unplugged, the unit is not starting anymore. A cooling fan is absolutely need to me present in the UPS, it's a safety feature.

My question is a silent computer fan with same size could work it out? Also it need to use the same plug. (See picture).

Picture

Or, is there a hidden function that could slow down the cooling fan ?

For the manufacturer warranty, it doesn't really matter as I'd already opened the UPS unit. We just want to find out a solution with the current unit.

Best regards,

Guillaume

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
In a case like this where the unit can sense the fan being unplugged and not run, I would probably pursue seeing if you can get the appropriate stock replacement from the manufacturer.

Make sure you are VERY careful inside that unit as it can really do harm to or kill you if you touch the wrong part(s).

In a case like this where the unit can sense the fan being unplugged and not run, I would probably pursue seeing if you can get the appropriate stock replacement from the manufacturer.

Make sure you are VERY careful inside that unit as it can really do harm to or kill you if you touch the wrong part(s).

The unit is brand new, the stock fan is just so loud at the point it's actually disturbing some of us. I need to find replacement fan who will be more silent, if possible but, the 3 pins plug seem to be different from 3 pins computer fan.
For the safety, first thing I did was to disconnect the batteries. ;)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
FAN is not the same as FAN! Just because a new fan has whirling blades and a cord does not make it able to do the same job as the stock fan in your unit. You need lots of performance specs to find a replacement capable of delivering the air flow in that environment to ensure equivalent cooling. PLUS you need to know its electrical characteristics and the pin-out details. All that info you MIGHT get from Triplite, or they MIGHT recommend a different fan. But I doubt they can offer you a MUCH quieter fan that fits that unit and does the same cooling job.

Maybe you need to find a different location for this UPS.