Question Changing an external SSD to an internal one ?

dahermit

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
How to change a portable SSD to an internal one without removing it from its housing (I don't want to risk wrecking it) ? It (my wife's portable SSD) has not arrived yet, but I am guessing that the small end of the USB cable that comes with it is a USB type b-micro. As I see it, if I wanted to place that external SSD into the case and connect it with a cable that would connect to the female SATA connection, I would need a b-micro cable on one end and a Male USB A connection on the other. Or am I barking-up the wrong tree?

If you can cancel the order, you might consider buying your own enclosure and your own "internal" drive of choice. Small or huge.

For external use, put the drive in the enclosure.

For internal use, attach it directly internally.

You can use a very fast NVMe if you want. Might be faster than whatever drive is going to come with wife's external.

Your original idea might work. Never attempted it.

USAFRet

Titan
How to change an External (A.K.A., "portable"), SSD to an internal without removing it from its housing (I don't want to risk wrecking it). It (my wife's external SSD) has not arrived yet, but I am guessing that the small end of the USB cable that comes with it is a USB type b-micro. As I see it, if I wanted to place that external SSD into the case and connect it with a cable that would connect to the female SATA connection, I would need a b-micro cable on one end and a Male USB A connection on the other. Or am I barking-up the wrong tree?
Without removing it from its housing?
Why?

This just sounds like a bad, slow idea.

If you want an internal, buy one.
If you want an external, buy one.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

dahermit

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
If you can cancel the order.
You can use a very fast NVMe if you want. Might be faster than whatever drive is going to come with wife's external.
Your original idea might work. Never attempted it.
"If you can cancel the order..."
None starter... tracking says it will arrive today.

"You can use a very fast NVMe if you want. Might be faster than whatever drive is going to come with wife's external."

We are old people who are not power users (no games, etc.) so "very fast" (A.K.A. "performance") is not much of an issue. All I am interested in are modest upgrades (SSD replacement of old HDs that come in refurbished computers with unknown hours on them).

Last edited:

dahermit

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
Without removing it from its housing?
Why?

This just sounds like a bad, slow idea.

If you want an internal, buy one.
If you want an external, buy one.
I have no idea if it can be removed without damage... my understanding is that some can be taken out without a problem, some cannot. The one ordered is a strange-looking, narrow. Do all come apart, exposing the SATA connection?

"This just sounds like a bad, slow idea. "
If such a cable existed, why would it be a "...bad, slow idea"? Why would it be any slower than installing an internal SSD? I could use some rationale here. In a separate situation, I have an internal SSD on the way. I also have ordered a SATA to USB cable that will allow me to clone my HD to the SSD outside of the computer case so that it is ready to go when I install it. Given that scenario, how would that be more problematic than a cable that would allow an external drive to be utilized as an internal drive?

"If you want an internal, buy one.
If you want an external, buy one."

In retrospect (it arrives today), that seems like good advice. However, it there were such a gender-changing cable, it would seem to be a very simple procedure on the face of it, safer than taking apart an external. I just wanted some input on the availability of such a cable.

Last edited:
I have no idea if it can be removed without damage... my understanding is that some can be taken out without a problem, some cannot. The one ordered is a strange-looking, narrow. Do all come apart, exposing the SATA connection?

"This just sounds like a bad, slow idea. "
If such a cable existed, why would it be a "...bad, slow idea"? Why would it be any slower than installing an internal SSD? I could use some rationale here.

"If you want an internal, buy one.
If you want an external, buy one."

In retrospect (it arrives today), that seems like good advice. However, it there were such a gender-changing cable, it would seem to be a very simple procedure on the face of it, safer than taking apart an external. I just wanted some input on the availability of such a cable.
A lot of them do not come apart, as a cost cutting measure external drives are often made with usb connectors on them instead of sata.

There is no usb to sata cable, you can connect a usb drive to an internal usb plug or to an external and thread the cable into the case.

Even if there should be a convertor cable the drive will still only be able to use usb speeds so that's why it's going to be slow(er than normal sata drives)

As I see it, if I wanted to place that external SSD into the case and connect it with a cable that would connect to the female SATA connection, I would need a b-micro cable on one end and a Male USB A connection on the other. Or am I barking-up the wrong tree?
How is a male USB A connector going to connect to sata?

dahermit

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
A lot of them do not come apart, as a cost cutting measure external drives are often made with usb connectors on them instead of sata.

There is no usb to sata cable, you can connect a usb drive to an internal usb plug or to an external and thread the cable into the case.

Even if there should be a convertor cable the drive will still only be able to use usb speeds so that's why it's going to be slow(er than normal sata drives)

How is a male USB A connector going to connect to sata?
I misspoke... I meant:
I was thinking of a USB c-micro (what I think is going to be the port on the external drive) to a Male SATA. But, considering your comment that such a conversion cable would result in a degradation in speed, my proposition's seems to be less practical than I would have imagined.

Thank you for your well-reasoned input.