atavus

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2001
I have an ATA100 30 gig Western Digital hard drive. I also have an A7A mobo, but it is only running the hard drive as ATA66. I downloaded WD's utility to change such settings, but the problem is, it's a DOS program, and I am running Win2000. It tells me to exit windows before running the program, but that obviously won't work, because of Win2000. Any other utilities that would do the same trick, or is there some way of making the WD utility work in windows?

<b>P</b>eople for the
<b>E</b>ating of
<b>T</b>asty
<b>A</b>nimals

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
If you are talking about the Data Lifeguard Tools, I don't remember exactly how I did it, but I have a bootable floppy. Maybe you just click on the downloaded file and it creats a bootable floppy. Or if the download is a zip file, unzip it and read the "readme" or some such text file.

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile:

G

you just need to find or create a bootable DOS floopy and put the utility on it. I'm sure someone can help you out if that's just impossible for you to get a hold of.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

G

My advice is: don't fix it if it ain't broke. No IDE drive exists to break ATA-66's theoretical max of 66MB/s in sustained transfer rate. Therefore, the ATA-100 mode won't make your drive run any faster. If you're driving a car capable only of a certain max speed, it doesn't matter if the highway is straight to the horizon, with no other cars in the way.

You're only gonna get into too much hassle, only to discover that your performance didn't change one bit.

Leo

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
if your running win2k i thought that Service Pack 2 fixed that issue, assuming of course that yours is a ata100 drive & that the a7v has ata100 support.

"i love the smell of Overclocking in the morning!" Says my Hamster.

G

Yeah, but it's not mine, though. Saw someone else use it before.

Leo

G

What, no drive will break ATA66? So how come scores in HD benchmarks improve when you change it to ATA100?
deez

G

Just look at the specs. For example, IBM 60GXP has 40.8 MB/s as the maximal sustained transfer rate: <A HREF="http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/desk/ds60gxp.htm#ProdSpecs" target="_new">http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/desk/ds60gxp.htm#ProdSpecs</A>. Far below 66 MB/s that ATA-66 provides.

If a benchmark utility shows an improvement greater than negligible, it's a good time to question the benchmark. Maybe they were testing the drive only on miniscule files, which could easily fit within the drive's buffer.

Leo