Changing cards, what about drivers

May 12, 2018
Im switching from my 1050ti a 1060 3gb(not much of an upgrade i know dont need insight on waiting my gpu is messing up) i was wondering if i need to uninstall the 1050 ti drivers first?

Solution
Purists would do that, yes. But generally, it is not a necessity. The same driver is used for both cards. More than likely what will happen is it will boot using a generic driver initially. Then Win will ask you to reboot and the correct driver parameters will load for the GTX 1060.

What I usually do is run DDU from safe mode to uninstall the previous driver first. Then change cards and reboot, installing the new driver next.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Purists would do that, yes. But generally, it is not a necessity. The same driver is used for both cards. More than likely what will happen is it will boot using a generic driver initially. Then Win will ask you to reboot and the correct driver parameters will load for the GTX 1060.

What I usually do is run DDU from safe mode to uninstall the previous driver first. Then change cards and reboot, installing the new driver next.

Solution