Changing Cat5e pre installed from phone line to ethernet

May 28, 2018
Ok so I am changing my pre installed cat5e from phone line to ethernet.

I am changing the face plate as well as the jacks.

I’ve bought a switch that I will put in the basement that will connect all these wall adapters.

My question is if I connect a wall adapter to the cat5e in the wall and then an Ethernet cable from that wall adapter to the router. Will that give my switch internet? Or would I need a coupler to connect the wire in the wall and a new cat5e to the router?

I can do either one but I don’t have wall face plate for the coupler

May 28, 2018

USAFRet

Titan

Phone lines can be branched off to other rooms, from a single pair.
Ethernet cannot.

If there are individual lines leading from each room to the basement, then you're probably OK.

USAFRet

Titan

The existence of Cat5e in the walls does not mean it is usable Cat5e.

You need to determine the actual wiring.

Where your router and/or switch will be...how many physical "Cat5e" cables terminate there?

OK lets get our vocabulary straight. The Amazon item pictured are called "RJ45 KEYSTONE JACKS" and you use these at each room. You will need a keystone faceplate for that but that's cosmetic, and a punch down tool like THIS, to make the wires connections.

The Lowes item pictured are "RJ45 plugs" but I suggest you do not do this. Making RJ45 cables with these plugs can be frustrated to make for the newbie. I suggest to do it the Pro way and it doesn't cost that much more money by attaching the CAT5, at the junction, via a PATCH PANEL like THIS (with RJ45 built in) or like THIS (your own RJ45).

So this is what am saying:

PC ---(premade cable)---> Wall RJ45 Jack --------(inwall wirings)--------(Patch Panel RJ45 Jack)----(premade cable)---->Switch.

Otherwise what the folks here are concerned about is that you want to make sure you have a FULL CAT cable at each room's outlet, a full cable meaning you should see 1 cable with 4 pairs of wiring, anything less than that and we have problem. You maybe confused by this but just open up a plate and look for those 4 pairs to verify, and then if you don't see that somebody here will attempt to explain. Post a pic.

May 28, 2018
Ok so I opened verified there are 4 pairs of cables but as I said this was a phone line before. Not sure where all these cat 5e’s are going. Not sure where the electrician put them. There is 1 cat 5e cable in the basement but it loops back up into ceiling and is does not connect to anything in the basement. Anyway I can figure out where these cables are without breaking walls??

For ethernet you want the jacket intact at each end and very minimal untwisting of pairs. 1Gbs can't be untwisted much more than 5mm on each side. splices can really kill it too.

USAFRet

Titan

That's what you absolutely need to verify.
Where do they end up, and how?

Look around.

Yes it can be done albeit tedious. Having 2 people (at each end) doing this speeds up the job. If both ends are already "jacked" u may use a tool like THIS. If bared wire you can use a ohmmeter, so you short one end, and put your probes on the other end and if that's the cable you get a beep. U do this one cable at a time, hence tedious.

One last warning: cables maybe used for telephony, alarms, HVAC, home automation. Be sure you know what you are messing with.

May 28, 2018
I only know where one end is which is in the outlet. The other end idk where it ends.. damn this is getting frustrating. In the basement where my wires are ther are only coax cables, different meters and door bell. These wires are all wires through the wall about 10 years ago so not sure what the technician did.

USAFRet

Titan

This does not sound good.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe. Maybe not.

As an electrician, when I was doing residential new construction, we mainly ran Cat3 for phones. Only in upgraded houses did we run Cat5e. In any termination, all lines were individual to each box, no loops were run, so every phone line/Lan line ran back to a single point, usually outside the house where the phone company could then install its stuff and make any necessary connections.

So, to check the line for loops is easy. From wherever that cable is, travel back towards that point outside the house and Che k inside all phone jacks. If there's just 1 wire in every jack, you are good. If there's 2 or more, then that junction means a loop and the internet won't be possible unless you kill every other phone jack in that line and permanently make all that cat5e into 1 line with no other breaks.

Of course this also means the other end is actually outside in the phone box, not a good place for a router/modem.

Re-reading your initial post, are u doing this ONE jack only? If so that will make thing 100x more difficult because finding a bunch of cables is easier than to find 1 cable. U may have jumped the gun thinking this was a cakewalk.

May 28, 2018
So after further review. There is cat5e cables connected in every room. Currently the wall jack has only one pair of cables connected to a phone line jack. Most of the House is wired so all of the connections go to this box in the back of my house.

https://reddit.app.link/?channel=xpromo&feature=HeroImage&campaign=amp_link_post_to_app&tags=amp&tags=treatment&link_id=treatment&%24og_redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2Ffunny%2Fcomments%2F1gelfd%2Fits_worse_than_we_thought_i_dont_have_verizon%2F&%24deeplink_path=%2Fr%2Ffunny%2Fcomments%2F1gelfd%2Fits_worse_than_we_thought_i_dont_have_verizon%2F&%24android_deeplink_path=reddit%2Fr%2Ffunny%2Fcomments%2F1gelfd%2Fits_worse_than_we_thought_i_dont_have_verizon%2F&utm_source=xpromo&utm_medium=amp&utm_name=amp_to_native_v2&utm_term=treatment

Some how they are connected to this box. These cables do not show up outside the house only this box and a wire connected to this box is also going into the house. So somewhere in the house these are being connected and one cable is going to that box.

Regarding cables, yes there is only one Wire in every jack. How can I connect the outside to Ethernet? I can remove all phone jack connections.