Changing colour of close button

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
How can I change the colour of the red close button at the top right of each window? I don't mind getting in the registry for a hex code change or pulling apart resource files to swap out images - just looking to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Ahh, sorry, forgot to look at that.

I wasn't sure it was do-able in windows 8 (I used to do it in 7 quite easily), but stumbled across this thread. Does that have what you're looking for?

The other option might be to find a heavily modded theme that does what you want and then work off of that. I suggest looking at deviantart.

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Awesome - thanks! Though I don't see the close button there, possibly it's lower down the list. The RGB values (I'm assuming they're RGB) don't seem to line up with what's on the screenshot, but possibly they're for illustrative purposes.

I'd have expected this to be very doable in Windows 8 with the button being so simple - could easily be a vector X, or at the very least a raster image with transparent background. I'll have a look at this part of the registry when I get back on the Windows 8 setup later today and hopefully be clicking that 'best answer' button :)

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
After spending some time with it I'm not sure I'd recommend it, but you might have a higher opinion of it than I do! That red really does clash with the green I've chosen for window border though so hopefully this will make it easier on the eyes at least :) I'll let you know what happens.

I've already been running windows 8 on my gaming computer, when I don't need windows 7 for softxpand. I love it - works a treat. (After you take 5 minutes to uninstall metro apps and customize things a little.)

Really, I think most of people's complaints about the OS come from using metro apps because they don't realize they can still get programs just the same way as before.

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
No luck I'm afraid :-( There was no entry for the close button, and no value anywhere on the list that matches the close button's red anyway (as RGB or HSL). So I guess it's probably an image (or rather a collection of them). So I guess what I need is to know what the file is that stores those images and what software I need to get into that file? I'd far prefer a neat 'swap image' type solution than messing around with themes, if at all possible.

Well my complaints are more about the whole 'dual interface' thing and the way settings are scattered inconsistently across Metro, desktop properties and taskbar properties. I spent ages searching through Metro's settings for 'boot to desktop' - bizarrely, it was in taskbar properties! And yet other taskbar properties settings actually are also available in Metro's settings - just not 'boot to desktop'. My girlfriend isn't as technical but she spent ages searching in Metro settings for changing her wallpaper, when that's in desktop properties.

Also disabling hotspots was easy enough (that one you find in taskbar properties for some reason) but movement on the right side of the touchpad keeps pulling in the charms bar. Very annoying. Plus it just looks ugly to me compared to Aero Glass, but obviously that's subjective!

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
By the way, do you use a Windows 8 theme? I'd be interested to have a look if so. The close button change was about making something I dislike not quite as bad, but maybe a whole new theme is the way to go. Doesn't seem to be a clearly defined category in Deviantart for Windows 8 themes, but I managed to dig up four on there.

I'm afraid that I'm not going to be of much help, then. :/
I wouldn't have the slightest idea of where to find that set of images, though I imagine you're right and that's exactly how it's handled.

Ahh, yeah, that's true - it can be a pain.

I don't use a windows 8 theme, but when windows 7 was my primary OS, I used to tweak with it a lot. Look at [http://www.deviantart.com/customization/skins/?order=9&q=windows+8]a search for windows 8 in skins and themes[/url].

Another thing that you could definitely consider is using litestep; I don't know if it works on windows 8, but if it did, it's almost infinitely customizable, and there are hundreds of themes for it.