Question changing cpu config TDP stopped fps drops

May 6, 2023
Hi,
So I recently built a new system(with exception of the gpu, awaiting some price decreases)and I had consistent issues with fps in most/all games I play dropping to say, 30-60fps for about 3-5 seconds this would normally happen every 10-15 minutes.

after absolutely going crazy for two days changing everything i could think of(driver updates, bios updates mixing old working components with new ones etc etc) the only thing that worked is changing the config TDP to 65w(88w,75a,150a) This then completely resolved my issues, and it's been running splendidly since.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to explain why this would be the case? as i would like to know what the specific issue(s) might be.

system specs as follows:
Ryzen 7 7700x
b650 tomahawk
MSI rtx 2060s (them prices still not dropping)
kingston fury 5600mhz c36 2x16gb
crucial p3 4.0 2tb
corsair H100 elite cappellix 240mm AIO
lian li sp850 sfx psu

Hi,
So I recently built a new system(with exception of the gpu, awaiting some price decreases)and I had consistent issues with fps in most/all games I play dropping to say, 30-60fps for about 3-5 seconds this would normally happen every 10-15 minutes.

after absolutely going crazy for two days changing everything i could think of(driver updates, bios updates mixing old working components with new ones etc etc) the only thing that worked is changing the config TDP to 65w(88w,75a,150a) This then completely resolved my issues, and it's been running splendidly since.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to explain why this would be the case? as i would like to know what the specific issue(s) might be.

system specs as follows:
Ryzen 7 7700x
b650 tomahawk
MSI rtx 2060s (them prices still not dropping)
kingston fury 5600mhz c36 2x16gb
crucial p3 4.0 2tb
corsair H100 elite cappellix 240mm AIO
lian li sp850 sfx psu
One possible reason you're seeing the FPS drop-off is that modern CPU's are thermally limited, meaning as they enter certain themal zones they'll boost less until the average temperature lowers. Lowering TDP from it's default 105W to 65W would keep it from building as much heat so it's not entering a thermal limit zone, but with a downside that it will also limit peak sustained performance.

A better way to approach this is to use PBO with Curve Optimizer to a lower the V/f curve for each core. A lower V/f curve means the processor uses a lower voltage for each frequency along the curve. Voltage has a major impact on heat generation in the cores since it also lowers core current (simply, heat generation = core voltage * core current). This greatly reduces thermal buildup without hindering performance (if not lowered too much, making it unstable) and actually improves it because it stays boosting longer.

You might also check your cooling fan arrangement: hot GPU exhaust air exiting the case through the AIO's radiator, as when top mounted, will heat up the CPU while gaming. Front mounting the radiator (if case allows) with it's fans bringing in cool outside air prevents that.

Last edited:
Reactions: slashy1
May 6, 2023
I’ll take a look into that when I can and let you know how it goes, I have a LIAN li mini/midi case so the AIO is mounted adjacent to the motherboard and they are intake fans. I then have 3 exhaust on the bottom 3 intake on top although I’m unsure whether this is an optimal setup

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it🙂