Question Changing CPU from 2200g to 3600

May 27, 2019
Hi guys, I am wondering if I would need to reinstall my Windows 10 after replacing my old 2200g with a Ryzen 5 3600, any tips about how to handle this?

Thanks in advice for your tips.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
no need to reinstall windows.
make sure the BIOS supports the new CPU.
use DDU to remove all the Graphics Drivers from the system if you are using the onboard GPU, reboot to safe mode and remove them again. if using a dedicated GPU and not the onboard at all DDU step can be skipped.
shut down the system, remove the heatsink and then the old CPU, insert new CPU into the socket and apply the new heatsink, if re-using the old heatsink, remove the paste, clean the heatsink, and reapply paste, then attach cooler to the CPU.
Boot up the system.

words in italics later added for clarity

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
1st, make sure your motherboard supports the 3600. You may need a bios update so check for that also.

You will also need to have a GPU installed into your pc, the 3600 does not have integrated graphics like the 2200g.

I'm not sure if uefi or Windows activation will throw a fit when you swap. You may just need to delete the CPU from device manager right before you shut down (view hidden devices) to swap in the new 3600.

C855D

Honorable
Aug 1, 2014
Pretty sure I did this exact swap with my build. I know for sure I have a 3600. All I did was take the old one out, drop the new one in, and power it up. May not be the purist way of doing things, but it worked. Also, as others have said, make sure you have external graphics, as the 3600 does not have integrated graphics.

TRENDING THREADS