[SOLVED] Changing CPU from i5-2400 to i7-3770k ?

Aug 13, 2021
Hello i post this question cuz my i5-2400 cpu always gets heated and i get less fps in gaming.
So um what bout a cpu upgrade to i7-3770k? Will it improve fps?
I have a 8gb RAM and Radeon Rx 550 4gb

Solution
Hello i post this question cuz my i5-2400 cpu always gets heated and i get less fps in gaming.
Hello!
You should check whether your motherboard is compatible with such an upgrade. As far as the CPU getting heated and that causing FPS drops - have you actually determined that via software while gaming or are you just taking a shot in the dark because I had a budget system with an i5-3470 and the FPS drops were in AAA games where the CPU just hit 100% usage while temps under full load didn't go over 60 degrees Celcius. 4c/4t in 2021 is just not enough.
Also, depends on where you are based, if the i7-3770 is more expensive...

SlavfromBulgaria

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
Hello!
You should check whether your motherboard is compatible with such an upgrade. As far as the CPU getting heated and that causing FPS drops - have you actually determined that via software while gaming or are you just taking a shot in the dark because I had a budget system with an i5-3470 and the FPS drops were in AAA games where the CPU just hit 100% usage while temps under full load didn't go over 60 degrees Celcius. 4c/4t in 2021 is just not enough.
Also, depends on where you are based, if the i7-3770 is more expensive second hand than a brand new current-gen CPU, I would advise you to save up for a 6c/12t CPU with a new motherboard and RAM so it can at least last you a bit longer, because the budget minimum for 2021 is 4c/8t and in a very short while that i7 will also become obsolete.
That's what I did - I got a Ryzen 5 1600AF along with a decent B450 motherboard and 16GB of HyperX RAM @3200MHz and I'm quite happy with the performance compared to my old i5. I understand that it may not be for everyone's budget but if I could save up for these new components in a year as a student, everyone can.
If you do not wish to buy a new CPU, motherboard and RAM combo, I will be more than happy to help you determine whether you can upgrade to an i7.
Hope this helps!

Solution

Vitric9

Distinguished
Hello. I would like to mention a few things to this thread. I don't have much to say about lowering CPU temps for your platform (LGA 1155) aside from the usual re-applying thermal paste and perhaps changing the CPU Heatsing/Fan. Perhaps making sure the PC case has good airflow. The prospect of upgrading an i5 2400 to an i7 3770 or i7 3770k is attractive since staying with LGA 1155 will not cost much else and the improvements are reasonable. Especially when using fast DDR3 Memory. I must admit I am only parroting these statements from a great review from Digital Foundry titled "Should You Upgrade From Core i5 2500K to i7 3770K?"

Reactions: SamirD