[SOLVED] Changing CPU i5 8600k to Ryzen 5 5600x

Aug 26, 2021
I need an advice is it worth to change? I do know Ryzen 5 is better than i5 at the moment. What i saw in YouTube are slight difference and what i read online are huge difference. Or should i just save the money and wait for the next series instead?

Solution
" Should i wait for the next series? "
That's a pretty subjective question.
Only you know your money situation etc.
.....but it's not an insignificant upgrade.
You're looking at 30% increase in single core speed and more than double in multicore.
I've upgraded CPUs to get this kind of performance increase...meaning...I didn't see it as a waste.
...but if your games are all chugging along just fine as it is now....then waiting might be a better option.
Aug 26, 2021
Here are the benchmarks.

The Ryzen is significantly faster. However....the benefit you see will depend on what you are using it for.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-8600K+@+3.60GHz&id=3100

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+5+5600X&id=3859

Usage most of the time for gaming, not a streamer nor do video editing. Should i wait for the next series? My main concern if switching now be worthwhile? Secondary not so sure my current CPU can play BF2042 smoothly even if i drop the game quality to mid setting.

Im using 1070ti and 16gb Ram 3600mhz (not sure if this info helpful for you to give me an advice)

You're looking at 30% increase in single core speed and more than double in multicore.
I've upgraded CPUs to get this kind of performance increase...meaning...I didn't see it as a waste.
...but if your games are all chugging along just fine as it is now....then waiting might be a better option.

Reactions: SamirD and Kisio86
Solution
Aug 26, 2021
Thanks

Here are the benchmarks.

The Ryzen is significantly faster. However....the benefit you see will depend on what you are using it for.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-8600K+@+3.60GHz&id=3100

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+5+5600X&id=3859
Yep, significantly faster single thread performance and hyperthreading on the cores as well as lower power needs:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-8600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X/3100vs3859

Many of these hypothetical gains that could be had with a 5600X upgrade assume you have a GPU capable of scaling upwards in FPS (primarily at 1080P) with a faster CPU...(i.e., think along the lines of at least a 2080Ti, 3070 Super, or above...)

Your gains with a GTX1660Ti or RX580, by contrast, could be almost nothing, however....making such an upgrade effectively a wash until the GPU is also upgraded.

Reactions: Kisio86
Worth is something only YOU can determine.
If your current performance is not satisfactory, then you can contemplate a change.

What kinds of games do you play?
My stock approach to this perennial question:

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You should also experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system,
and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
-------------------------------------------------------------

In a month or two, alder lake will launch.
Unless your need is urgent, I would wait for that.
Otherwise you run the risk of buyer's remorse.

Reactions: Kisio86
Aug 26, 2021
My PC was build back in 2018. Since then nothing has change. Playing Mount and Blade Bannerlord 2 sometimes get lag. GPU change is indeed on planning, but the market price threw me off, I probably put it on hold. Planning to get (3070 or 3070TI)

If I had read some information earlier maybe I would have put on hold in buying. But that 30% plus CPU Benchmark made my decision.

My current build I'm rocking: i5-8600k; ROG Strix z370-F Gaming; Cerberus 1070Ti; 2x8GB 2444Mhz Gskills Aegis; Hydro G 750w; Cryorig H5 Ultimate; 120GB Sata SSD; 2tb HDD; and Old parts from laptop 750GB HDD.

I probably go ahead and close this thread. But then now I have another question lol. Not sure if I could park at this thread or should I open a new thread.

Should I get a 1TB / 512GB M.2? Planning to purchase ADATA XPG SSD SX8200 Pro as it fits my wallet. At first I thought of getting 512GB as primarily for operating space. My mates suggest, take 1TB for gaming space and maintain SSD as operating space.

Also worth noting I had made purchase for Ryzen 5 5600x; MSI B550 Tomahawk; HyperX Fury 2x8GB 3600Mhz. - getting ready for BF2042.

P.S: Thanks for taking your time and responded to me with those advise, I truly appreciate it.

Just like anything else, if you can afford bigger/better, get it. But I would avoid brands like adata who played bait and switch with their products, putting out something stellar initially and then changing to a lower performance one once it started selling.