Question Changing CPU of 10+years notebook (i7 on HM65 chipset)

Apr 9, 2022
Hello all. I have two notebooks from 2011 and thinking about "transplanting" one CPU into another and want to know if it's a yes or a no.

First model is a HP DV7-6143cl with 2nd gen. Intel Core i7-2630QM processor with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.90Gzh. This notebook has a broken display and there was no way on earth I could get it showing anything on an external monitor. Tried it all, fn+F4 and all tricks I could find online.

Second is a Samsung RV420 with Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU B800 @ 1.50GHz. Socket 988B rPGA (0x4). Chipset seems to be HM65. This would be the receptor of the i7 processor.

Their comparison is https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-2630QM-vs-Intel-Celeron-B800/873vs668

As far as I could research, their TDP is different so even if updating BIOS it's a risky move. What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
First model is a HP DV7-6143cl with 2nd gen. Intel Core i7-2630QM processor with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.90Gzh. This notebook has a broken display and there was no way on earth I could get it showing anything on an external monitor.
Did you place a screwdriver on the magnetic latch and then tried powering on while an external display was plugged to the laptop in question?

You could drop the i7 in the Samsung though you will need to make sure your BIOS on the latter laptop is up to date and you inspect the cooling assembly to get a semblance of what the Samsung laptop might be able to cool since a lackluster cooling assembly will only lead to overheating and negate your upgrade.

Reactions: Rmario81

USAFRet

Titan
This transplant is unlikely to work.

The BIOS in the recipient Samsung system is unlikely to know what to do with the i7.
The cooling situation won't be sufficient.
11 year old laptops? What do you use it for?

Reactions: Rmario81
Apr 9, 2022
I see. I'll ditch the transplant then. Too risky.

I tried the magnectic latch and it didn't seem to work. Or I couldn't find the proper magnetic spot. The DV7 has one very strong magnet on center top of the display which is where I placed the fridge magnet upon closing the lid. The side section around the display seem to have some magnet to it. The DV7 laptop suggest the correct combination is Fn+F4, but I tried without success all the keys the article suggest and nothing worked so far.

edit: @USAFRet nothing fancy, just plug on TV. Probably should just move the memory and SSD hard drive to other notebook and ditch the DV7, despite the processor being much better...

Thanks

Last edited: