Question Changing d-link router password

Nov 24, 2019
I'm trying to change my d-link router password . I'm running a mac on el capitan and have arrived at my router set up page but am worried that I'm going to do something wrong so that I won't be able to use the router. I can post the screenshot of where I've arrived. but don't know how to in this forum. Any advice most appreciated!

Angelo191

Prominent
Sep 29, 2019
Are you trying to change the admin password to access the router itself or are you trying to change the wireless network's password?

In any case, post some screenshots of your router interfaces.
If you want to change the admin password to access the router, it should be somewhere under "maintenance" > "password". It depends on the firmware, the path changes from router to another, so it will come to you posting those screenshots.

Nov 24, 2019
Hi, I'm trying to change the router password because Avast anti-virus advises me to. The link I'm attaching is, I guess, the stage prior to changing this password. When I click on summary I get a username and password (and of course I have my router name and password already. But when I put this info in I can a pop up saying do I want to save this password - so I'm a little confused and trepidatious! Thanks for the interest, Angelo and Titan!
d-link router password change View: https://imgur.com/a/3tE6xrm

Angelo191

Prominent
Sep 29, 2019
The username and password fields are what you are looking for. For username, it doesn't really matter, you can use "user" or "admin", something you can remember.

Just pick a good username/pass combo and note them down. Put them on piece of paper and stick it under your router.

Nov 24, 2019
When I put admin or user in the user name box it tells me I have to use an alphanumeric name with an "@" sign. When I click SUMMARY it give sme username and a password - when I put these in it asks me if I want to save these - do I take it that on the summary page the username and password are simply suggestions?

Nov 24, 2019
Another thing - when I search the routers ip address I get the screen I've already downloaded - above the username and password fields it says "
To Setup your router enter your
Username and Password provided
and click on Connect below.
So (1) provided where? and (2) can I just put new ones in?

Angelo191

Prominent
Sep 29, 2019
The router manual would be your best bet. It usually will tell you what each box is meant for.
Username and password in this case might be the credentials provided by your ISP that allows you to authentify yourself to their server.

Nov 24, 2019
Unfortunately neither the router manual or any of the Youtube videos show the screen that I've downloaded here. There's nothing in the manual about a password at all! There's no way I can get into the router settings so that I can change the "admin" password! So, I guess I should either change the router to a model that actually allows me in (which probably my ISP wouldn't allow) or just hope I'm not hacked! All very dispiriting!