Changing default install drive

steveox152

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
So I recently built a new computer and installed a OCZ Vertex SSD. I loaded Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit onto the SSD. I was able to change my User directory from the SSD to my regular hard drive using tips from the forums. I am still having trouble changing my default installation drive from my C:\ drive (SSD) to my A:\ (HDD). The link in the useful SSD links thread did not work for this issue. I would like to do this before I install to much onto my computer so I minimize my risk of messing up certain programs.

Or is it easier to just change the location every time I try to install something? Curious what peoples opinions are when it comes to loading the OS onto a SSD with limited space.

Thanks

I never found the need to default it since I always specify the path myself anyway. As an example every install just wants to go in a program folder but I like the default folder for games to be "games" what ever drive I decide to install on.

steveox152

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Ok so I tried this method and it doesnt seem to work. It just installs to C:\ still. Im assuming that I need to restart my computer after I change the registry. That still does not help. It worked perfectly for my User folders. Program files is just giving me problems.

The only thing that I noticed was after changing the path to the A:\ instead of C:\ it would not let me open program shortcuts that were in C:\. It would tell me the path from A:\ did not exsist. So in that respect it worked.

So really the only problem is getting programs to install onto the A:\

steveox152

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Ok so I tried this method and it doesnt seem to work. It just installs to C:\ still. Im assuming that I need to restart my computer after I change the registry. That still does not help. It worked perfectly for my User folders. Program files is just giving me problems.

The only thing that I noticed was after changing the path to the A:\ instead of C:\ it would not let me open program shortcuts that were in C:\. It would tell me the path from A:\ did not exsist. So in that respect it worked.

So really the only problem is getting programs to install onto the A:\

fantastik250

Distinguished
What kind of programs? The best method is to custom install into your other drive (HDD). As far as windows updates is concerned it will update where your OS is.

I also read that you can change the registry. But, it doesn't seem to work in your case.