Question Changing fan position on Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler

Mar 22, 2019
I've got a Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler and at the moment the it's positioned so that the main fan sits as shown in the product picture, right above my memory slots, pulling air from the front of the case to the back (over the heatsink). There is a central fan also, which pulls in the same direction. My question is, if I were to move the main fan to the other side of the block so that it's pulling air through, will this make a difference to it's cooling capability? I've got two 140 fans pulling air in at the front of the case and two exhaust fans at the back and top. I presume it will but also remember that my previous Noctua fan allowed it to be positioned on either side. The fan currently sits right on top of the memory dimms but there is plenty space at the other side.

Has anyone done this with the dark rock pro 4? Did it make a difference to temperatures?

Lutfij

Titan
You would need to do a trial and error basis for your intended setup. Ideally the cooler should be in push/pull as shown in the product site but what you're also trying to do is push/pull with the rear fan pulling air while the middle fans is pushing air. I think you're going to see some hit in temp drops since the fans are meant to push air through the confined spaces of the heatsink. Air tends to take the path of least restriction which is why the fans are either set to push air or the draw air through heatsinks that are under a shroud/cowl.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I didn't test that cooler with your alternative configuration, primarily because I like to test CPU coolers as they come packaged and how they 'show' it to be installed by default. But either way, its a good cooler.

I would be curious to know the outcome; I suppose I can revisit it or even test the Threadripper version I'm starting on soon.