Changing Format for Address Book

Hi,
Is the a way the change the format of the Windows address Book. I would
like the 'Company' name to show up in the listing from 'Select Name' it only
appears the pull the contacts name is alphabetically order, by first name.

I'm not real clear on your question. You can display the company name by
right clicking one of the existing headings (Business Phone for example) and
selecting Company. Then you can sort on Company by clicking that heading.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Francis Cunningham, Jr." <FrancisCunninghamJr@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:7622331D-A9E0-428E-909A-F1136EDA05A2@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> Is the a way the change the format of the Windows address Book. I would
> like the 'Company' name to show up in the listing from 'Select Name' it
> only
> appears the pull the contacts name is alphabetically order, by first name.

Ron,
Thanks for your time to answer my question. When posting I try to be as
brief as possible, but some times I don't explain myself clearly. Here's the
story:

I am using Outlook 2000 to enter my contacts. The 'Company' field is
important to me because I base everything on that field. All my contacts
have a business which they are afilated.

To use the address book I go to Word 2000 under Tools, I click Envelopes and
Labels. The Envelopes and Labels dialog box opens. At this point I click
the address box icon, which opens the 'Select Name' dialog.

The problem is the list that is showing is listed in firstname/lastname
order. I would like to see the Companies I enter in Outlook listed here and
not necessarily the individual. the columns showing in the address book are
1. the persons name 2. Their email address 3. Their business phone 4. Their
personal phone and 4 SMTP?, which I don't know what this is.

I hope I've made is a little clearer and can you help?
Frank
fjcunninghamjr@comcast.net

"Ron Badour" wrote:

> I'm not real clear on your question. You can display the company name by
> right clicking one of the existing headings (Business Phone for example) and
> selecting Company. Then you can sort on Company by clicking that heading.
>
> --
> Regards
>

> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> Knowledge Base Info:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>

> "Francis Cunningham, Jr." <FrancisCunninghamJr@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:7622331D-A9E0-428E-909A-F1136EDA05A2@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> > Is the a way the change the format of the Windows address Book. I would
> > like the 'Company' name to show up in the listing from 'Select Name' it
> > only
> > appears the pull the contacts name is alphabetically order, by first name.

Hi Frank

My response was based on the assumption that you were using Outlook Express.
However, you still might want to try what I suggested and see if it works on
the dialog box you described. If not, try Glen's posting advice.

--

wrote in message news:E4EAB637-52D7-4415-87B2-2E6F9BB5E1EB@microsoft.com...
> Ron,
> Thanks for your time to answer my question. When posting I try to be as
> brief as possible, but some times I don't explain myself clearly. Here's
> the
> story:
>
> I am using Outlook 2000 to enter my contacts. The 'Company' field is
> important to me because I base everything on that field. All my contacts
> have a business which they are afilated.
>
> To use the address book I go to Word 2000 under Tools, I click Envelopes
> and
> Labels. The Envelopes and Labels dialog box opens. At this point I click
> the address box icon, which opens the 'Select Name' dialog.
>
> The problem is the list that is showing is listed in firstname/lastname
> order. I would like to see the Companies I enter in Outlook listed here
> and
> not necessarily the individual. the columns showing in the address book
> are
> 1. the persons name 2. Their email address 3. Their business phone 4.
> Their
> personal phone and 4 SMTP?, which I don't know what this is.
>
> I hope I've made is a little clearer and can you help?
> Frank
> fjcunninghamjr@comcast.net
>

> "Ron Badour" wrote:
>
>> I'm not real clear on your question. You can display the company name by
>> right clicking one of the existing headings (Business Phone for example)
>> and
>> selecting Company. Then you can sort on Company by clicking that
>> heading.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>

>> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
>> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
>> Knowledge Base Info:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>>

>> "Francis Cunningham, Jr." <FrancisCunninghamJr@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > Is the a way the change the format of the Windows address Book. I
>> > would
>> > like the 'Company' name to show up in the listing from 'Select Name' it
>> > only
>> > appears the pull the contacts name is alphabetically order, by first
>> > name.

Unless Ron or someone else here happens to know the answer, I suggest you ask in an
Office, Word, or Outlook forum, rather than a Windows forum.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Francis Cunningham, Jr." <FrancisCunninghamJr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E4EAB637-52D7-4415-87B2-2E6F9BB5E1EB@microsoft.com...
> Ron,
> Thanks for your time to answer my question. When posting I try to be as
> brief as possible, but some times I don't explain myself clearly. Here's the
> story:
>
> I am using Outlook 2000 to enter my contacts. The 'Company' field is
> important to me because I base everything on that field. All my contacts
> have a business which they are afilated.
>
> To use the address book I go to Word 2000 under Tools, I click Envelopes and
> Labels. The Envelopes and Labels dialog box opens. At this point I click
> the address box icon, which opens the 'Select Name' dialog.
>
> The problem is the list that is showing is listed in firstname/lastname
> order. I would like to see the Companies I enter in Outlook listed here and
> not necessarily the individual. the columns showing in the address book are
> 1. the persons name 2. Their email address 3. Their business phone 4. Their
> personal phone and 4 SMTP?, which I don't know what this is.
>
> I hope I've made is a little clearer and can you help?
> Frank
> fjcunninghamjr@comcast.net
>

> "Ron Badour" wrote:
>
> > I'm not real clear on your question. You can display the company name by
> > right clicking one of the existing headings (Business Phone for example) and
> > selecting Company. Then you can sort on Company by clicking that heading.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >

> > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> > Knowledge Base Info:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
> >

> > "Francis Cunningham, Jr." <FrancisCunninghamJr@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote in message news:7622331D-A9E0-428E-909A-F1136EDA05A2@microsoft.com...
> > > Hi,
> > > Is the a way the change the format of the Windows address Book. I would
> > > like the 'Company' name to show up in the listing from 'Select Name' it
> > > only
> > > appears the pull the contacts name is alphabetically order, by first name.

Outlook does not use the Windows Address Book, Frank.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Francis Cunningham, Jr. wrote:
> Ron,
> Thanks for your time to answer my question. When posting I try to be as
> brief as possible, but some times I don't explain myself clearly. Here's
> the story:
>
> I am using Outlook 2000 to enter my contacts. The 'Company' field is
> important to me because I base everything on that field. All my contacts
> have a business which they are afilated.
>
> To use the address book I go to Word 2000 under Tools, I click Envelopes
> and Labels. The Envelopes and Labels dialog box opens. At this point I
> click the address box icon, which opens the 'Select Name' dialog.
>
> The problem is the list that is showing is listed in firstname/lastname
> order. I would like to see the Companies I enter in Outlook listed here
> and not necessarily the individual. the columns showing in the address
> book are
> 1. the persons name 2. Their email address 3. Their business phone 4.
> Their personal phone and 4 SMTP?, which I don't know what this is.
>
> I hope I've made is a little clearer and can you help?
> Frank
> fjcunninghamjr@comcast.net
>

> "Ron Badour" wrote:
>
> > I'm not real clear on your question. You can display the company name
> > by right clicking one of the existing headings (Business Phone for
> > example) and selecting Company. Then you can sort on Company by
> > clicking that heading.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >

> > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> > Knowledge Base Info:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
> >

> > "Francis Cunningham, Jr."
> > <FrancisCunninghamJr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > Is the a way the change the format of the Windows address Book. I
> > > would like the 'Company' name to show up in the listing from 'Select
> > > Name' it only
> > > appears the pull the contacts name is alphabetically order, by first
> > > name.

It can, IIRC. I believe I set it up that way here (not that I use Outlook much).
--

> Outlook does not use the Windows Address Book, Frank.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>
> Francis Cunningham, Jr. wrote:
> > Ron,
> > Thanks for your time to answer my question. When posting I try to be as
> > brief as possible, but some times I don't explain myself clearly. Here's
> > the story:
> >
> > I am using Outlook 2000 to enter my contacts. The 'Company' field is
> > important to me because I base everything on that field. All my contacts
> > have a business which they are afilated.
> >
> > To use the address book I go to Word 2000 under Tools, I click Envelopes
> > and Labels. The Envelopes and Labels dialog box opens. At this point I
> > click the address box icon, which opens the 'Select Name' dialog.
> >
> > The problem is the list that is showing is listed in firstname/lastname
> > order. I would like to see the Companies I enter in Outlook listed here
> > and not necessarily the individual. the columns showing in the address
> > book are
> > 1. the persons name 2. Their email address 3. Their business phone 4.
> > Their personal phone and 4 SMTP?, which I don't know what this is.
> >
> > I hope I've made is a little clearer and can you help?
> > Frank
> > fjcunninghamjr@comcast.net
> >

> > "Ron Badour" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not real clear on your question. You can display the company name
> > > by right clicking one of the existing headings (Business Phone for
> > > example) and selecting Company. Then you can sort on Company by
> > > clicking that heading.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > >

> > > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> > > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> > > Knowledge Base Info:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
> > >

> > > "Francis Cunningham, Jr."
> > > <FrancisCunninghamJr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I didn't say it /couldn't/, only that by default it /doesn't/. <w>

glee wrote:
> It can, IIRC. I believe I set it up that way here (not that I use
> Outlook much).
>
> > Outlook does not use the Windows Address Book, Frank.
> > --
> > > I am using Outlook 2000 to enter my contacts. The 'Company' field is
> > > important to me because I base everything on that field. All my
> > > contacts have a business which they are afilated.
> > >
> > > To use the address book I go to Word 2000 under Tools, I click
> > > Envelopes and Labels. The Envelopes and Labels dialog box opens. At
> > > this point I click the address box icon, which opens the 'Select
> > > Name' dialog.
> > >
> > > The problem is the list that is showing is listed in
> > > firstname/lastname order. I would like to see the Companies I enter
> > > in Outlook listed here and not necessarily the individual. the
> > > columns showing in the address book are
> > > 1. the persons name 2. Their email address 3. Their business phone 4.
> > > Their personal phone and 4 SMTP?, which I don't know what this is.
> > > <snippage>

TRENDING THREADS