changing from 32 bit to 64 bit

Solution
MERGED QUESTION
Question from mrossiter51 : "upgrading from 32 to 64 bit"

USAFRet

Titan

Then he must buy a valid Windows 10 license. About $100.

Also, there is no direct upgrade from XP to Win 10, so this will be a full reinstall. Have all of your critical files backed up before you start.

mrossiter51

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
I have the valid windows 7 that I purchased . I was thinking after I installed it ,there would be an option to upgrade to 10 .If I remember correctly,I need to go into the start up menu and select f2 or f12 ?

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
The question is, does he need it? If he's running XP, I'm betting it's an older computer. If it's an older computer, does it have more than 4GB RAM? If yes, then he would benefit from being able to go more than 4GB. If he doesn't have more than 4GB, then he won't benefit from going 64bit.

Also, make sure that his computer meet the minimum specs for Win 10 BEFORE you start. Also, what kind of computer (what are the specs)?

USAFRet

Titan

The free upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 expired on July 29.

USAFRet

Titan

If you have a valid Win 7 install disk and license key, yes, you can install the Win 7 64bit.
Again, this will be a full reinstall, not an 'upgrade'. Everything will be wiped.

Boot from that Win 7 install, and install it.

USAFRet

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from mrossiter51 : "upgrading from 32 to 64 bit"

Solution

mrossiter51

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

He will be bringing it over to me a little later,I will check out the specs then. I,m really not sure why he wants to do this,just offered my assistance.please check back with me and thanks for your help.

3ogdy

Distinguished

Maybe he plans to upgrade his RAM, OR maybe he's trying to run a program that doesn't work in a 32-bit environment. Ask for details first, then we'll see what the best option for him is. Certain GPUs don't have support in newer OSes - so you'll also have to figure out what graphics card he's using to see if you can get drivers ...not only for his GPU but for everything that requires drivers in Windows, from audio to storage controllers ...etc.