Changing from G1840 to i3 4150

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
Do I need to turn anything on in the BIOS after doing this?
Cause I'm pretty disappointed about how it performs.
It might just be do to the low resolution I'm using(1366x768), but if I play with The Forest game for example, I have around 58 fps maxed out looking at a certain point, and the GPU utilization is only at 78%, CPU is around 60-70%.
Is is some shitty type of bottleneck or do I just have to set something in the BIOS?

SoNic67

Distinguished

Sounds like you have nothing else to do with those two, since they are not maxed out anymore. Sure, the CPU can be a little lower or use more cores (to prevent too many thread context switching delays). But there are also other bottlenecks in systems, and once you "fix" one, the next one appears.

Probably this time is the RAM access times/bandwidth, and both the GPU and CPU are waiting for the data.

Or probably the game is FPS capped at 60. For example in Fallout4 you would need to edit the Fallout4Prefs.ini file and change the iPresentlnterval=1 to 0 (this disables the FPS lock).

Hello... 1) utube "core parking" for your OS... and Disable it in your registry (regedit)
2) Check your OS Power Plan for "Performance" and make sure the CPU/PCIe/hardware? are NOT set to any limits.
3) Set the NVidia APP for performance.
4) Disable the CPU/IGT in your MB BIO's (save&exit)

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
Witcher 3 for example.
No, the VRAM is not the problem in this case, the usage is only at about 1300Mb.
I recently changed both motherboard and processor, these lag spikes are still occuring..

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016

I game at 1366x768, that's my max resolution.
I pretty much have issues in every game.
Dying Light, Witcher 3, GTA V etc.
The GPU utilization doesn't stay at 99%, I mean it does, but when the lag spikes occur the GPU usage drops a lot, than goes back again.
No idea what's causing this, but it's been fucking me up for the past 1 month.

Try turning down texture quality,they have to be read from the drive in real time while the GPU has to stop rendering while reading them,so lower textures will help mask this problem.

Also the console ports are very badly written most of the times,they use the physical limitations of the very weak console cores as a means of synchronisation,this means that threads run way too fast on desktop PCs causing all kind of problems with FPS drops/stutter being the most common.
Go real crazy on graphics settings to make the 960 bottleneck so that the threads will run a bit slower,this will fix the problem most of the times,same can be achieved by using a FPS limiter to limit the FPS a little below the avg FPS you normally get.

(witcher 3 is a real mess sometimes,go visit the cdprojectred(the devs) forum,they have a excellent guide for tweaking the game)

If you open task manager and see 4 cores you don't have to do anything in the bios.

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
Tried lowering the textures, didn't help at all...
The GPU usage is at around 99%, but when the processor has to work hard to keep up with the videocard, the GPU usage drops to like 60%.
That's when the lag spikes occur.

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
I had installed a fresh windows when I've bought the mobo with the G1840.
I changed to the i3 yesterday, the windows reinstall wasn't needed and I also had this problem occuring on my previous mobo+cpu.
The games ran pretty much perfectly on my previous card(560Ti), so it might actually be the videocard.
I tried running Witcher 3 on my previous HDD as well, which I didn't have any problems running games with.
HDD: WD10EACS(Western Digital Green Caviar 5400 RPM)
I have 6 gigs of RAM,1x2Gb KingMax 1333,1x4Gb Kingston 1333 running in Dual Channel.
Also didn't have ANY problems with them in the past.
Everything started happening since I changed my graphics card, but not in every game though, so I don't think it is the VGA eventually.
No idea guys...

Yeah, 1. your HDD is slow and only meant for storage of documents/pictures.
2. your ram is all f'd up as it's two different brands at two different sizes and you have less than 8gbs which open world games definitely will use (and more)
3. it could be your PSU if it's some no-name garbage.

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
Only 4.5Gb of RAM is used while playing Witcher 3 and I also tried to game with my old HDD which is a Seagate 7200RPM one.
I also didn't have ANY problems like this in the past, just after I changed to this graphics card+hdd combo..
But I don't think they'r causing the problem.
I have a Corsair VS550, which isn't meant for gaming PCs, but my system only pulls about 300W at MAX, so not the case either.
It can only be the graphics card I guess, no idea..
But if it is, why don't I have problems in a game like BF3?