[SOLVED] Changing GFX clock in BIOS does nothing

Jan 13, 2019
After a month of troubleshooting and trying everything I could think of to figure out why the Ryzen 3 2200g APU is underperforming and having usage/clock spikes, decided to see if overclocking would help, but...

Setting the GFX clock in bios doesn't seem to do anything. When I run any benchmarks, I see my clock fluctuating from 400mhz to 1100mhz, dropping to 400mhz occasionally causing stuttering in games.
The settings do indeed save in the BIOS, but whatever I set the clock to be in the BIOS - the clock won't go higher than 1100, it's like something is overriding my settings.

I was able to overclock the CPU just fine, 3.85ghz from 3.5ghz. Changed the multiplier in BIOS, benchmarked, there was a slight performance gain and it was indeed running with the 3.85ghz clock.

I tried uninstalling Ryzen Master, but that didn't change anything. I can overclock the iGPU from within Ryzen Master, too, and it does work, but I don't like the idea of my iGPU not downclocking itself when it's idle, especially since I'm using the stock cooler and only have one case fan. And I want to be able to set the clock from within BIOS, otherwise it feels like running away from the problem.

So, what could be causing the problem? Why do my changes from within the BIOS not seem to apply? Could a BIOS update help?
I just don't have a UPS and power outages are frequent, so I'm worried power will go out during the BIOS update.

What I've already done during the troubleshooting is check temps, set power plan to high performance, install latest drivers, try different driver versions with DDU, tweak driver settings.

Another problem I've encountered is with overclocking RAM. 2866mhz is the maximum frequency my 3200mhz RAM kit is able to reach, memcheck gives me errors with anything higher, even with timings as loose as 19-19-19 and 1.35v voltage. Is this normal, or should I replace RAM/try updating the BIOS?

My setup:

CPU/iGPU: Ryzen 3 2200g (Vega 8 iGPU)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H rev.1.x (Ryzen 2000 ready)
RAM: 3200mhz G.Skill Trident Z, 2x4gb, timings 16-18-18 (OC'd to 2866, anything higher is unstable)

Reactions: YOUCEFDZ

TRENDING THREADS