[SOLVED] Changing hdd orientation after a longer period of using it

hnn

Commendable
Feb 28, 2018
I have seen all kinds of computers with different setups for mechanical hard drives. Sometimes they are vertically, sometimes upside down etc.

But.... Some people claimed that IF you have used a hard drive for example upside down for... let's say a year or two. And then you switch the orientation to vertical or flip it over, it reduces the life span of the drive. They claimed that once you start using it in certain orientation, you should keep it that way for as long as you use it.

Is that true, or just something people believe without any factual evidence?

Just wondering because I have a few drives that I would like to start using differently, and they all have about 2000 hours of usage already.

Solution
I do lots of work with bearings...and if the bearings for the platter are good bearings I think that it's probably not very true although I understand the logic behind thinking this.

I've taken hard drives and changed their orientation many times....and I've never noticed their lives to be shortened by doing this.
I do lots of work with bearings...and if the bearings for the platter are good bearings I think that it's probably not very true although I understand the logic behind thinking this.

I've taken hard drives and changed their orientation many times....and I've never noticed their lives to be shortened by doing this.

Solution