Changing hidden extensions

I am using an application which requires the text file it imports to have the
extension X01 (or X02, etc). The source file has a txt extension which is,
of course, hidden. When I attempt to change the extension, the best I can do
is to add .X01 to the file name without overwriting the hidden .txt.

How can I make a txt extension visible so that I can overwrite it.

Hi Jim,

Control Panel/Folder Options, on the view tab, uncheck the line to "hide
file extensions for known file types".

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jim Jones" <JimJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using an application which requires the text file it imports to have
>the
> extension X01 (or X02, etc). The source file has a txt extension which
> is,
> of course, hidden. When I attempt to change the extension, the best I can
> do
> is to add .X01 to the file name without overwriting the hidden .txt.
>
> How can I make a txt extension visible so that I can overwrite it.

Dear Rick

That's made the rest of the day a lot easier. Many thanks!

Jim

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Control Panel/Folder Options, on the view tab, uncheck the line to "hide
> file extensions for known file types".
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Jim Jones" <JimJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using an application which requires the text file it imports to have
> >the
> > extension X01 (or X02, etc). The source file has a txt extension which
> > is,
> > of course, hidden. When I attempt to change the extension, the best I can
> > do
> > is to add .X01 to the file name without overwriting the hidden .txt.
> >
> > How can I make a txt extension visible so that I can overwrite it.

TRENDING THREADS