Jan 16, 2021
Hi again, I have built a pc with these components:
MOTHERBOARD: B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
MEMORY: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB x 2 (cmk16GX4M2B3200C16)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: AMD Radeon 5600 xt
PSU: TX6550M (80+ gold)
You suggested memory and motherboard were incompatible, as not written in the compatibility list, but now I have few more questions:
I guess I willl have to change the RAM sticks, do you suggest one that might be (compatible) and less than €100?
I was told to search for memory by RX-3X00, why such thing? What's the difference with RX-3X00G or 2X00 (and so on)?
Linked to the previous one, I found the same model code on the compatibility list but in another section: in RX-2X00 2G/GE, and the difference stays on the final letter (an R or W , aka the color?), why are they compatible then?

If it might help, I'll link the other post (though I summarized what I think was important): Plugging 2x8GB RAM sticks doesn't boot anymore

Solution
I checked, and my BIOS is updated to ComboPI 1.1.0.0, should be fine.
When we talk about memory controller we talk about Cpu's memory, right? And as my CPU can't be overclocked, can I OC any other component? Following the specs listed in your message,even tho there's written "A-XMP OC MODE" it doesn't mean it has to be mandatory on OC to make it work, has it?

And at last, to make sure I got this clear: IF I had a 2000 series Ryzen I could have gone with the Corsair Vengeance LPX , as I have a 3000 I need another one...?
Sorry for the dumb questions, I just want to make sure I got everything clear before leaving doubts behind :sweatsmile:
Al modern CPUs have memory (RAM) controller built in and so does Ryzen. Maximum default...
Hi again, I have built a pc with these components:
MOTHERBOARD: B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
MEMORY: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB x 2 (cmk16GX4M2B3200C16)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: AMD Radeon 5600 xt
PSU: TX6550M (80+ gold)
You suggested memory and motherboard were incompatible, as not written in the compatibility list, but now I have few more questions:
I guess I willl have to change the RAM sticks, do you suggest one that might be (compatible) and less than €100?
I was told to search for memory by RX-3X00, why such thing? What's the difference with RX-3X00G or 2X00 (and so on)?
Linked to the previous one, I found the same model code on the compatibility list but in another section: in RX-2X00 2G/GE, and the difference stays on the final letter (an R or W , aka the color?), why are they compatible then?

If it might help, I'll link the other post (though I summarized what I think was important): Plugging 2x8GB RAM sticks doesn't boot anymore
2000 series Ryzen have memory controller set as 2966MHz and 3000 series 3200MHz, above each it's considered overclocking of memory controller. That makes it easier to overclock controller and memory. That's about all. Both types are capable of much higher memory speeds.
The rest is mostly up to MB and BIOS and which are maximum frequencies they allow.
For your motherboard specs show:
  • 4 x DDR4 memory slots, support up to 128GB *ComboPI 1.0.0.3-based and above BIOS are required.
    • Supports 1866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667Mhz (by JEDEC)
    • For AMD Ryzen Gen3 (R5/R7/R9)
      • Supports 2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466/ 4000/ 4133 MHz (by A-XMP OC MODE)
    • For AMD Other CPU
      • Supports 2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466 MHz (by A-XMP OC MODE)
  • Dual channel memory architecture
  • Supports non-ECC UDIMM memory
  • Supports ECC UDIMM memory (non-ECC mode)
So it seams that your combo should be able to run memory up to 3466MHz using XMP on the RAM and even faster by manual overclocking. You can use https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/ as a guide.

Jan 16, 2021
2000 series Ryzen have memory controller set as 2966MHz and 3000 series 3200MHz, above each it's considered overclocking of memory controller. That makes it easier to overclock controller and memory. That's about all. Both types are capable of much higher memory speeds.
The rest is mostly up to MB and BIOS and which are maximum frequencies they allow.
For your motherboard specs show:
  • 4 x DDR4 memory slots, support up to 128GB *ComboPI 1.0.0.3-based and above BIOS are required.
    • Supports 1866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667Mhz (by JEDEC)
    • For AMD Ryzen Gen3 (R5/R7/R9)
      • Supports 2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466/ 4000/ 4133 MHz (by A-XMP OC MODE)
    • For AMD Other CPU
      • Supports 2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466 MHz (by A-XMP OC MODE)
  • Dual channel memory architecture
  • Supports non-ECC UDIMM memory
  • Supports ECC UDIMM memory (non-ECC mode)
So it seams that your combo should be able to run memory up to 3466MHz using XMP on the RAM and even faster by manual overclocking. You can use https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/ as a guide.
When we talk about memory controller we talk about Cpu's memory, right? And as my CPU can't be overclocked, can I OC any other component? Following the specs listed in your message,even tho there's written "A-XMP OC MODE" it doesn't mean it has to be mandatory on OC to make it work, has it?

And at last, to make sure I got this clear: IF I had a 2000 series Ryzen I could have gone with the Corsair Vengeance LPX , as I have a 3000 I need another one...?
Sorry for the dumb questions, I just want to make sure I got everything clear before leaving doubts behind :sweatsmile:

Al modern CPUs have memory (RAM) controller built in and so does Ryzen. Maximum default frequency steadily rose with every Ryzen iteration. However that's not it's limit, just the point above which it's considered overclocking and none are locked. That is not connected with core overclocking, each part can be OC-ed separately.
XMP is not mandatory, memory can be set manually. XMP is written in the memory itself and is just a guide to BIOS how to set everything for certain frequencies. BIOS is not obliged to follow everything in XMP and even if XMP is enabled in BIOS you can also change some of it's settings. Some,mostly faster RAM can have 2 or more XMP profiles. Some consider XMP as memory overclocking because most RAM's starting frequency is 2133MHz, however it's highest frequency (and that's the one in the RAM's designation is also it's best XMP profile, above that you are actually starting to OC RAM itself because manufacturer determined that it's highest frequency and best settings to work reliably. None will guarantee that it can work(properly) over that but in reality some can go way higher if MB and it's BIOS allow it, that would be manual OC.
Most Ryzen (except Pro versions) have core multiplier unlocked and can be overclocked to some degree.
As XMP is an Intel invention, MB manufactures use different names for it beloved patriot that "A-XMP OC MODE", or for instance DOCP in Asus MBs but effectively it's all same thing, best frequency and settings for particular RAM. Even that is not written in stone, BIOS will often disregard at least part of XMP settings and set own rules.
There's also AMD with own set of rules for CPU's behavior by releasing AGESA code which MB manufacturers include in their BIOS version.
So there are several factors that decide how RAM is controlled and handled.
AMD with AGESA code and memory controller for CPU.
BIOS that sets own settings for CPU and memory settings which may follow fully or partially XMP profile
Memory (RAM) itself it's capabilities depending which chips are installed and how fast and which parameters it can run at. XMP is not only one that determines those but there's also JEDEC values for each frequency. You can see that plainly in CPU_Z and Thaiphoon Burner programs and numerous other programs like Aida etc.
Have a look at some of them for more clear picture of what your RAM has.
BTW, latest AGESA code is 1200 preceded by 1180 and 199 in short succession. If your BIOS doesn't include it now you can expect it in new BIOS soon. It has some nice enhancements for core and voltage settings too.

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 16, 2021
Ohh okay, I gave a look and yeah, the moba has also AGESA (I don't know which version tho). When I'll get a new Ram, I'll use the link that you sent and OC. That was enlightening, thanks!