Changing Mobo results bad ping

Hi,

i've just upgraded a gigabyte with AMD & 2000+ to ASUS & 3000+, because
some capacitors were overheated and produced shortcut or sth else.
Bought a new harddrive too, to save all the mail and else stuff.
Both mainboards have onboard 100MBit ethernet.

Of course OS has to be reinstalled.

Now my ping is unstable and 20-40 ms higher (compared to average
others) than before.
My favorite server threatens to disconnect (due to high ping)

Does someone have an idea why, and a remedy?

Steam-directory was copied from the old harddrive to avoid new
downloads of everything.
It seem to work pretty good. cs' net-rates were the same as before.

QuixX (noob4ever)

<agrube@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> i've just upgraded a gigabyte with AMD & 2000+ to ASUS & 3000+, because
> some capacitors were overheated and produced shortcut or sth else.
> Bought a new harddrive too, to save all the mail and else stuff.
> Both mainboards have onboard 100MBit ethernet.
>
> Of course OS has to be reinstalled.
>
> Now my ping is unstable and 20-40 ms higher (compared to average
> others) than before.
> My favorite server threatens to disconnect (due to high ping)
>
> Does someone have an idea why, and a remedy?
>
> Steam-directory was copied from the old harddrive to avoid new
> downloads of everything.
> It seem to work pretty good. cs' net-rates were the same as before.
>
> QuixX (noob4ever)

i'm assuming you're dialup, here.
in the dim & distant past you probably disabled modem compression on the old
install and have forgotten to do that on the new. also make sure all
'quality of service' rubbish is switched off as this will rob your bandwidth
& increase ping.

dr ratt

darius

<agrube@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> i've just upgraded a gigabyte with AMD & 2000+ to ASUS & 3000+, because
> some capacitors were overheated and produced shortcut or sth else.
> Bought a new harddrive too, to save all the mail and else stuff.
> Both mainboards have onboard 100MBit ethernet.
>
> Of course OS has to be reinstalled.
>
> Now my ping is unstable and 20-40 ms higher (compared to average
> others) than before.
> My favorite server threatens to disconnect (due to high ping)
>
> Does someone have an idea why, and a remedy?
>
> Steam-directory was copied from the old harddrive to avoid new
> downloads of everything.
> It seem to work pretty good. cs' net-rates were the same as before.
>
> QuixX (noob4ever)

Yeah, what DustJunky said.

I have an ASUS P4PE mainboard, and I originally was getting nearly double
the latency/ping by using the onboard LAN (ASUSTeK/Broadcom integrated LAN
Controller). I put in my old Linksys 10/100, and used that without a problem
for weeks. Eventually until it dawned on me that I had NOT installed the
latest drivers for my chipset/hardear from ASUS, and had let windows install
some generic driver for the integrated LAN controller (I noticed when I
realized my G4 Ti4400 was running in PCI mode instead of AGP 4x.. I'm all
WTF). I installed the latest chipset drivers off the ASUS website and
everything started running smooth as glass.

- Michael (Darius)
"There can be only one."
G.O.D. of Kish ~ (G)ames (O)perational (D)irector
"An it harm none, do what you will."