Changing monitor size to fit well with dual monitor setup

Hyptex

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
So I got this monitor from a friend for free, I know nothing about it except that it's a square 12" and it's highest res is 1600x1200.

It works perfectly but that's not the problem, I have another monitor that I have been using as my main which is a 19" Widescreen 1440x900. I wanted to dual these monitors but it hasn't been the best experience, the square monitor is taller than my widescreen monitor and this is reallly annoying for dual.
img

I want to know if I would be able to sorta grab the top of my square monitor's screen (virtually) and pull it down to be the same height as my widescreen monitor.
img

Now I could just change the resolution but that just stretches the resolution to fit.

This has really been bugging me as I can't find a solution.

(Essentially I want a black box at the top of my square monitor to push the height down to 10" instead of it being 12" so the height is flush with my widescreen)

bojan_vladek

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2015
I am no expert about resolutions but from my experiences about resolution customizations and other weird things that I do in my video world, my two cents would go for the fact that you can't do that. I don't think you can just pull down a resolution without screwing the quality or making it weird in another way. Also, whenever you change the resolution to anything, the image stretches itself to the borders of the screen to fit it. So I don't think you can pull it down like that. But then again I am no expert and not educated about these matters. Maybe there is a software that can do this, or I can suggest you this at best: Change the resolution of the big one to something slightly smaller and not wide. Then by manually tinkering with the video settings on the monitor, try pulling it down without screwing the image too much. That's what I would do if I wanted to do such a thing.