Changing Motherboard and CPU

Nov 25, 2018
Basically I have ordered a new Motherboard and CPU but it's been a while since I last did it myself so I need some help and advise on what to do before removing the old ones, installing the new ones and then anything after.

Solution
Save all of the spacers under the removal screws in your mobo if they came with the case. Don't use a magnetic screwdriver to remove screws.
If the new mobo is coming with spacers and screws, no problem.

Remember to completely discharge and ground yourself before handling your parts.

The new mobo might have a slightly different layout so removing the parts won't really be an issue.

Be careful in removing the CPU cooler as the thermal paste has probably hardened by now, if you want to salvage the CPU or avoid damage to the cooler. Use isopropyl alcohol (90%+ recommended but 70% said to be okay) to clean the cpu and cooler.

Unhook fans and all components and remove them separately. Now is a good time to clean all of the parts with...

starlight.evenings

Prominent
Nov 29, 2018
Save all of the spacers under the removal screws in your mobo if they came with the case. Don't use a magnetic screwdriver to remove screws.
If the new mobo is coming with spacers and screws, no problem.

Remember to completely discharge and ground yourself before handling your parts.

The new mobo might have a slightly different layout so removing the parts won't really be an issue.

Be careful in removing the CPU cooler as the thermal paste has probably hardened by now, if you want to salvage the CPU or avoid damage to the cooler. Use isopropyl alcohol (90%+ recommended but 70% said to be okay) to clean the cpu and cooler.

Unhook fans and all components and remove them separately. Now is a good time to clean all of the parts with compressed air and add oil to all of your case fans that have an oil well (inside of the sticker on the front, usually) can use sewing machine or the small multipurpose 3 in one household oil to refill the wells.

Not much to do other than take everything out, screw the new motherboard in (remember the spacers) and begin to reassemble. Put the CPU cooler in last, and the graphics card towards the end too because they are huge and may block other ports. Don't forget the power supply cable running directly to the slot on the motherboard- I always forget that one. lol

Solution

starlight.evenings

Prominent
Nov 29, 2018

I hate to say this, but I shorted a motherboard that was completely unplugged from the wall. Static kills. Imagine my shame! Oh well, only make that mistake ONCE.