Changing motherboard, what will be required?

Lukeus

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
So I'm currently chmaging my old motherboard (MSI z97 PC mate) for a asus z97 pro gamer motherboard. The old one has Windows 10 installed which cost £70. What will be required once I boot up the system in order to get things going? The help is much needed!

Solution
1st install WAS locked to motherboard, not anymore

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

In Windows 10 (Version 1607 or later), you can link your Microsoft account to the Windows 10 digital license on your device. This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Anyone with a Digital entitlement can move their copy of win 10 to a new motherboard once they either logon using a MSA (Microsoft Account - which is the email address you used to register win 10) onto their current PC or go to settings/update&...

Dave8671

Distinguished
Are you sure your current cpu, ram is compatible with your new mobo?

Windows 10 may flag your system as new once the new mobo is installed. Once you activate windows unless you have a non OEM win dvd install dvd. You may have to call Microsoft to get a new activation key. But if you have an OEM install disc they may decline. Reason that first win10 dvd is bios locked [for lack of a better word] to your old mobo. You may need to purchase a new win10 dvd.

Lukeus

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
They both seemed compatible with my current hardware , used a variety of forums and PC part picker to check.

I purchased Windows 10 via PC world, I didn't get a cd/DVD, just a blue USB key

Colif

Win 11 Master
1st install WAS locked to motherboard, not anymore

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

In Windows 10 (Version 1607 or later), you can link your Microsoft account to the Windows 10 digital license on your device. This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Anyone with a Digital entitlement can move their copy of win 10 to a new motherboard once they either logon using a MSA (Microsoft Account - which is the email address you used to register win 10) onto their current PC or go to settings/update& security/Activation and run then troubleshooter there to re activate their device after reinstall.

Now retail may be different, as far as I know you still have a digital entitlement so there should be no restriction to move it in the same way.

Microsoft seem to have blurred the lines between OEM & Retail.

You could use that USB, but I would download a new copy of the ISO from here as then you have the version that lets you reactivate after swapping the board as the old USB may not.

The installer can be used many times, it was the licence that comes with it that was restricted and it is now a digital entitlement. When you reinstall Win 10 you shouldn't need that key, its recorded against either your machine or your email address on MS servers now so anytime you install you just click "skip" when you reach page asking for a key, and win 10 will either reactivate on install or you need to run the activation troubleshooter to match your digital entitlement to current PC

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master

The change only started last week so its not a surprise you didn't know :)

DE have been around a little longer, in preparation for this I guess,