Changing motherboard without Re-Instal Windows 8

iqballoon

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
So my pcie 2.0 x16 slot on my motherboard its broken (not showing display,gpu card works on other computer) (currently using onboard/chip display. Everything works fine thought, but the pci-e slow doesn't)
Take to Repair center, they said must change motherboard.. But the same type and model not available anymore. So i must look other motherboard.

I know, Re-instaling windows is best option.
But i dont have any backup hardrive. and i dont wanna lose all of my data.

just changing the motherboard.
Proccesor , Hardrive .etc still the same.

Sorry for my bad English :)

----

All good!
Work perfectly (so far so good) in the last 2/3 months

I just uninstal Old mobo driver and gpu > Replace mobo > instal the new one > and done :)
Just need re-active my Windows

Thanks Mr.drtweak for your respond . Very helpful :)

Solution
Yea if there is some issue and drivers won't work then it will probably give you a BSOD on boot up. If that happens let us know and we can help ya out.

And for the most part those SHOULD work since they all pretty much use the same driver. I know when i clone PC's as long as its a chipset that use the same driver it will clone just fine. If its not then i can USUALLY install the driver on the working machine then clone it over without issue MOST of the time.

You would probably have better chances if you sick with the 6X series chipset.
As long as its the same chipset (Z77 with a z77 and so on) Then you should be fine. You will just have to install another other drivers as well. Also try to make sure the SATA controller is the same. A lot of PC's come with different sata controllers. Back in the day there wasn't as many to it was easier but today a lot have two seperate controllers. so if it had two sepeate ones make sure the new motherboard has one of the two controllers on it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Microsoft changed the rules for Windows 8 OEM. The license is no longer tied to motherboards. They only care that it is only installed on one system.

Before you take apart your old system, just make a quick check of the hard disk controller settings in the BIOS. If AHCI is turned on, then you will want to make the new board's settings match.

Generally Windows will take care of getting you to a working desktop. At that point just download the latest motherboard drivers. And it is probably a good idea to update all your hardware drivers at this point.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is for single drive configurations. RAID arrays and the like are more tricky.

I have successfully taken a single drive/OS from AMD systems to Intel, changed from Intel to Intel chipsets (including RAID arrays in that case) Haven't tried going from Marvel Raid to Intel Raid or vice versa.

iqballoon

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

Thanks for your answer sir. :)
My motherboard is H67H2 .. if its okay changin to H61,H75 or H77 ?

Thanks for your answer sir :)
I have single drive config.

So i just Uninstal old Driver Motherboard > Replace with the new one > Instal new Driver motherboard.
Its like changing GPU card right?

If there any change of BSoD ?

Yea if there is some issue and drivers won't work then it will probably give you a BSOD on boot up. If that happens let us know and we can help ya out.

And for the most part those SHOULD work since they all pretty much use the same driver. I know when i clone PC's as long as its a chipset that use the same driver it will clone just fine. If its not then i can USUALLY install the driver on the working machine then clone it over without issue MOST of the time.

You would probably have better chances if you sick with the 6X series chipset.

Solution