[SOLVED] Changing Motherboards

xrh

Sep 12, 2020
www.youtube.com
Ok, I'm thinking of getting a new motherboard (a more high-end one) as my current one was a relatively cheap one so I was just wondering if replacing motherboards is as simply as taking your pc apart but when rebuilding it just use the new mobo? Or is it a lot more complicated than that?

Solution
It's about that simple, as long as you make sure the new motherboard is compatible with all your other components. In particular, you might want to check that if the new motherboard draws more power than the previous one, your PSU can still support it.

On a different note, the reason to upgrade a motherboard is typically to take advantage of some new components, so you should definitely ask yourself if you need to upgrade just for kicks.

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018
It's about that simple, as long as you make sure the new motherboard is compatible with all your other components. In particular, you might want to check that if the new motherboard draws more power than the previous one, your PSU can still support it.

On a different note, the reason to upgrade a motherboard is typically to take advantage of some new components, so you should definitely ask yourself if you need to upgrade just for kicks.

Reactions: xrh
Solution

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Ok, I'm thinking of getting a new motherboard (a more high-end one) as my current one was a relatively cheap one so I was just wondering if replacing motherboards is as simply as taking your pc apart but when rebuilding it just use the new mobo? Or is it a lot more complicated than that?

Yeah it's really that easy, although you will have to reapply the overclocks, and driver and bios updates.

Reactions: xrh