Changing MSI Motherboards

Terminator_

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2016
Changing my motherboard from a MSI H110M Pro-VD to a MSI Z170A Tomahawk. Is there anything I need to note or do when I am changing them? Thanks

Solution
At a minimum, yes - but a clean install is highly recommended.

With a change to both the CPU and motherboard though, it may not activate.
Windows 10 allows "significant hardware change(s)", but they do not expressly define what that is.

Realistically, it's a new CPU + Mobo combo may well go beyond a hardware "change"..... but the only way to know is to try.

The Windows 10 activation troubleshooter would allow you to talk to MS, who may force an activation for you, if it doesn't do so automatically.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What are you looking to achieve by making the change? Outside of overclocking, RAID or (potentially) SLI, you're not going to gain much from the change.

If you just need to replace, then sure. You really should reinstall your OS though, or at the very least use the "refresh" functionality - make sure you've tied your Windows 10 install to a MS account before making the change though.

Terminator_

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2016
@Barty1884 I also bought a new CPU for overclocking and I do plan on using Crossfire GPUs. Also bought it since it was reduced by a lot.
With the refresh functionality do you mean the "Rest this PC" windows 10 provides in its settings?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
At a minimum, yes - but a clean install is highly recommended.

With a change to both the CPU and motherboard though, it may not activate.
Windows 10 allows "significant hardware change(s)", but they do not expressly define what that is.

Realistically, it's a new CPU + Mobo combo may well go beyond a hardware "change"..... but the only way to know is to try.

The Windows 10 activation troubleshooter would allow you to talk to MS, who may force an activation for you, if it doesn't do so automatically.

Solution

Terminator_

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2016
@Barty1884 I did also check with micro soft (with a help chat) if changing the motherboard would require a reset, they said no, but I'd understand why it would be better. A clean install is harder for me to do at the moment since I have no access to a external storage I could use as a bootable USB, and with the reset they provide at least would have to backup everything, which I can't even do