[SOLVED] Changing my only drive from MBR to GBT to boot in UEFI.

Jul 23, 2021
I was considering getting windows 11, so I looked at the Windows 11 system requirements and I saw that my nvme drive had to boot on UEFI to be able to get windows 11. To be able to boot on UEFI, my drive (Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB) had to be on GBT and not on MBR which it is currently on. I also saw that GBT way better is than MBR which made me want to change my drive to GBT. I also found out that you need to backup your data.

Can anyone help me on how to change my only drive which I boot windows on to GBT, what data I have to backup (games or photos) and how to backup?

Jul 23, 2021
Please please please don't sacrifice your one and only drive and presumably its OS to test drive a not quite beta test preview.

What are the rest of the specs of this system?
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: Corsair vengeance rgb pro 2x8gb 3600mhz
GPU: MSI 2060 gaming z
PSU: RM650W corsair
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO plus 1tb
Motherboard: MSI b450 tomahawk max

DSzymborski

Titan
If you don't have your photos backed up, this is a rather scary situation that absolutely dwarfs anything else going on with your PC. Important files should be backed up at all times; when files aren't backed up, the question is when you're lose them forever, not if. Your best solution depends on a few things (expertise level, budget, amount of data), but your first priority should be making sure it's something.

Jul 23, 2021
Win 11 is still in early beta.
Things change, things break. Daily.

It is NOT yet ready to be a daily driver.
Yeah, but it is not all about windows 11, it is more because booting on UEFI is way better than booting on legacy. I don't want to download windows 11 right away too, I'm still waiting a couple months if it is out of beta.

Jul 23, 2021
If you don't have your photos backed up, this is a rather scary situation that absolutely dwarfs anything else going on with your PC. Important files should be backed up at all times; when files aren't backed up, the question is when you're lose them forever, not if. Your best solution depends on a few things (expertise level, budget, amount of data), but your first priority should be making sure it's something.
I don't really have that important things, neither have I backed them up, but I still want to of course, how do I back them up with only one drive?

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
G'dday.

Just thought I would add my (often paltry) 2c worth. There is actually a utility program that will convert a drive from MBR to GPT. Go here .. MBR2GPT Info. I have never used it myself but know of it's existence. Microsoft support should be able to help you if you need more info on how to use it.

Hope this helps.

{GoofyOne's 2c worth ... which may or may not be actually worth 2c}