[SOLVED] Changing my PSU

mictian1980

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
I want to change out my PSU but I'm torn between two possible models. I need some advice. I built this system in July 2020. My system internals is as follows:

Ryzen 7 3700x
Asus B550 Plus
Thicc 3 5700 XT
32GB 3200mhz (4x8gb)
1xSSD
1xNVME
1xHDD
6xfans (ranging from 120mm-92mm)

My current power supply is:
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...600w+gold&qid=1603974564&s=electronics&sr=1-3

I got this one because it was the only one available at the time I built this computer in July 2020. It has been running fine as far as I know and I have it connected to a pure sinewave APC UPS 1000VA

So my choices I am torn between is:

A:
https://www.amazon.com/quiet-BN653-...974603&sprefix=dark+power+pro+,aps,165&sr=8-1

B:
https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-Sem...03974616&sprefix=seasonic+650w,aps,182&sr=8-4

C: Just stick with what I got?

Solution
for now. while I'm a big fan of quality PSUs I'm an even bigger fan of not throwing away stuff in working condition.
not sure how the UPS plays into this but while the TT Smart isn't a particularly good PSU it's not like they come defective out of the box. I'd probably run them for 1-2 years.
for now. while I'm a big fan of quality PSUs I'm an even bigger fan of not throwing away stuff in working condition.
not sure how the UPS plays into this but while the TT Smart isn't a particularly good PSU it's not like they come defective out of the box. I'd probably run them for 1-2 years.

Solution

mictian1980

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
The sinewave UPS is supposed to help out the PSU by making the work of cleaning the electricity going into it, in theory prolonging the life of PSUs. I got 6 years out of a Dynex PSU once on a gaming machine using this same tactic on an older model sinewave ups. After my Dynex crapped out someone told me how bad Dynexs were and how I was lucky I got 6 years out of it. This is my hope by pairing this PSU with this UPS is that I can get more time out of the PSU, but then I see all these recommendations on how I should not have this PSU with this CPU and I get nervous.

mictian1980

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
You seem hyperfocused on the UPS for some reason.

99% of PSUs made in the last decade don't have a problem with simulated/square sinewave UPSs.

The reason I seem focused on my UPS is because this TT PSU is the first PSU I have owned that has active PFC and when I had a storm this weekend my older UPS didn't keep my computer on and the computer reset. So I ordered a new UPS but this time with the sinewave option and I have had some storms since then and no problems. Before this weekend I never even knew about active PFC and PFC in general. I always assumed a power supply was a power supply and if it turned the computer on and didn't explode anything I was good to go.

The events of this weekend kinda scared me. So I guess I am still scared.