[SOLVED] Changing out motherboard & cleaning out old drivers ?

ccoo84

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
Hello, I'm about to upgrade my "Asus Prime B250M" Mobo to a "|Asus ROG STRIX Z270H Gaming" Mobo..

My question is after changing out the boards how do I clean out the old drivers & install the new ones without wiping clean my system? Unfortunately I have allot of files on my computer & windows I can't mess with because they are projects I've been working on..

I heard just install the chipset & then use CC cleaner but TBH I can't remember the right way to go about it any advice would be great.. thank you.

Solution
The motherboard chipset drivers....Windows should work things out. Probably.
Any specific ones for the new board, install them yourself. Audio, etc.

I'm not saying it will absolutely fail, I'm not saying it will absolutely work.
But, do prepare for a full OS reinstall. It may not be needed. But if it IS needed, you'll be glad you prepared for it.

Also, the OS license will need reactivating.
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

USAFRet

Titan
My question is after changing out the boards how do I clean out the old drivers & install the new ones without wiping clean my system? Unfortunately I have allot of files on my computer & windows I can't mess with because they are projects I've been working on..
Do you have a good backup routine for all this data?

If not, do that first.

Any major hardware or software change MUST be preceded by a full backup of any data you do not wish to lose. Just in case.
Including the OS if needed.

Since these two motherboards are relatively close in specs, it is likely the system will boot up with no problems.
Likely, not guaranteed. But what if it fails?

Why the change?

ccoo84

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
I'm changing it because, I just want to upgrade to a better one so I can overclock my chip, & I bought a new case because the one I have has been modded to hell & is falling apart.
Theres nothing wrong with my current board I'm just going to put it up in the closet for a backup.. I had bought the B250M because I moved to Europe from the United States & sold all my good parts & my Titan XP's but kept the i7 7700k CPU. So I promised myself I would build the computer back up when I have a little bit of extra money.. I do have data backups of everything, also to be honest I have asked this question on Tomshardware Forum before when I was switching from the Formula iX to th B250M.. But would like a refresher on the subject.
So its mostly I need to know about the driver issues if there would be any or if none.

USAFRet

Titan
The motherboard chipset drivers....Windows should work things out. Probably.
Any specific ones for the new board, install them yourself. Audio, etc.

I'm not saying it will absolutely fail, I'm not saying it will absolutely work.
But, do prepare for a full OS reinstall. It may not be needed. But if it IS needed, you'll be glad you prepared for it.

Also, the OS license will need reactivating.
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution

TRENDING THREADS