Question Changing out my old AT&T router

matt98svt

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
So we have had AT&T internet here at our house for about the last 8 years and still have the router they installed in place. My friend just gave me a Nighthawk AC2300 router and I was hoping to install it in place of the AT&T router to make things faster. Over all the AT&T router does ok but is weak as far as connection stregnth in the far corners of the house and downstairs. We added one of the small TP link extenders downstairs and that seems to help some but now when Im upstairs my laptop seems to want to connect to that access point downstairs and when Im downstairs it wants to connect to the main AT&T router upstairs, so basically just not good. The AT&T router is the standard one that says AT&T all over it and is made by a company Pace, I do not see a model number on it. As far as usage we have a few iPads, laptops, phones, stream TV, nothing major. There are no instructions included with the Nighthawk router. Is it a simple install to replace the AT&T router with the Nighthawk? Thanks in advance

You likely have a couple issues. First most device you see from att that are pace brand have a DSL modem in them. I don't think your new tplink has the modem. It all depends on how the internet cable comes into the house. It needs some kind of modem to connect to. If the pace router is connected to a another box via a ethernet cable then maybe you have a chance.

The larger problem is ATT is bunch of jerks when it come to replacing their equipment. In most cases they will not allow it. They many times do not even allow you to put their device in true bridge mode. They have their own strange way of running a bridge that kinda works.

Reactions: matt98svt