changing partition in hard drive

I have a Sony Vaio Desktop that came with a 120gb hard drive. The problem is
that the manufacturer partitoned the drive so my "c" drive has only 16gb
which is my boot drive and almost full and the "d" drive has 104gb and is
nearly empty. Does anyone know how I can move the partition to give me "c"
drive more space. I know there is a program called partition magic, but I
would like to avoid the expense of buying it and just do it using windows xp.

Why not just re-install some of your programs onto D: .. or move your
documents to D: ?

"Bill 3510" <Bill 3510@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Sony Vaio Desktop that came with a 120gb hard drive. The problem
>is
> that the manufacturer partitoned the drive so my "c" drive has only 16gb
> which is my boot drive and almost full and the "d" drive has 104gb and is
> nearly empty. Does anyone know how I can move the partition to give me "c"
> drive more space. I know there is a program called partition magic, but I
> would like to avoid the expense of buying it and just do it using windows
> xp.

I guess I could do that Mike but I thought moving the partition would be so
much easier than reinstalling a lot of software on the "D" drive

"Mike Hall" wrote:

> Why not just re-install some of your programs onto D: .. or move your
> documents to D: ?
>

> "Bill 3510" <Bill 3510@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Sony Vaio Desktop that came with a 120gb hard drive. The problem
> >is
> > that the manufacturer partitoned the drive so my "c" drive has only 16gb
> > which is my boot drive and almost full and the "d" drive has 104gb and is
> > nearly empty. Does anyone know how I can move the partition to give me "c"
> > drive more space. I know there is a program called partition magic, but I
> > would like to avoid the expense of buying it and just do it using windows
> > xp.

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 08:47:06 -0800, Bill 3510 <Bill
3510@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a Sony Vaio Desktop that came with a 120gb hard drive. The problem is
>that the manufacturer partitoned the drive so my "c" drive has only 16gb
>which is my boot drive and almost full and the "d" drive has 104gb and is
>nearly empty. Does anyone know how I can move the partition to give me "c"
>drive more space. I know there is a program called partition magic, but I
>would like to avoid the expense of buying it and just do it using windows xp.

This can't be done within XP; at least not without losing all your
data on both partitions. You MUST use third-party partitioning
software. The good news is that there is at least one company out
there that you can download a thirty day fully functional trial from
that will do the trick. Do your research!

Try this site then.. apparently, BootIt NG is every bit as good as PM.. I
have not ever used it, and PM I had problems with many moons ago.. I would
stick with the re-install option..