Changing radiator location... would it work?

koperan

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
Hello,

Im trying to see if it's a good idea to reconfigure my rad and fan location.

Here's a picture of what I'm trying to do.
20180322_115903.jpg

Right now I have my rad fans in push exhaust config, I want to move my rad one position forward and do push intake so I can get outside air in and add a exhaust case fan in the top back.
Would that work?

Solution
It's not a good idea.

1. Hot air rises and if you are trying to push air in from the top, you will be fighting rising air from inside the case.
2. You won't have enough exhaust fans after this change, 5 intake vs. 2 exhaust.

What's your reasoning for doing this change?

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
It's not a good idea.

1. Hot air rises and if you are trying to push air in from the top, you will be fighting rising air from inside the case.
2. You won't have enough exhaust fans after this change, 5 intake vs. 2 exhaust.

What's your reasoning for doing this change?

Solution

koperan

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
I would like outside air to go thru the rad and the Aio tubes are not long enough for it to be mounted on the front

I bought 7 new case fans to replace these stock ones. My plan was to move the rad upfront in push(case fans) / pull(noctua industrial fans) as intake and add 3 fans on the top for exhaust.

USAFRet

Titan

Which may or may not be "better".
Only way to know in your particular case and components is to test.
Do not assume that changing it to what you proposed will be "better". It may in fact be worse.

Or it may only be 1 or 2C difference either way.
If I had to take my whole system apart and spend money on extra fans for a 2C difference, I would not bother.

Lastly, "more fans" is not always better.

koperan

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
That's not the only reason why I bought the fans, the stock fans are pretty crappy and loud. I also bought a new PSU and just got my GPU back from RMA so I figured if im already elbow deep in my pc why not try to improve the airflow, temps and look.

USAFRet

Titan

Go for it then.
Just don't be shocked if the temps don't really change, or even get a teeny bit worse.

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
All I have to add is that there are no major differences between exhausting air through a rad vs. intaking fresh air through a rad. If you are exhausting air through a rad, yes the air is not "fresh" and not as cool therefore your CPU temps might be higher by 1 or 2 degrees C. However if you pull fresh air through the rad, you will be heating up the air and then throwing it in to the case. Other components need cooling too like the video card, VRMs, and RAM. Now those will be hotter. So take your pick.