Changing ram heatsinks

liamprice00

Prominent
Feb 13, 2018
I want to buy some new ram but I’m not a huge fan of the flashy colors they often come in. I’m aware removing the heatsink may void the warranty- I want to know if it’s fairly easy and doable to add/replace an unsightly heatsink with an aftermarket one. Thanks

Solution
You can buy Crucial RAM with or without heatsink. Also RAM from any of the other major RAM manufacturers is available without heatsinks. I mean the actual manufacturers of RAM. That would be Samsung, SK Hynix, Micron (Crucial), Kingston and Toshiba (now part of Bain-Apple Group). Some are easier to find on eBay. As many are generally sold directly to computer manufacturers and aftermarket upgrade brands.

Also the heatsinks are usually decorative. Unless the aftermarket memory is overclocked and overclocked enough to need a heatsink. It is just there for looks. Sometimes they act more like an insulator.

There are plenty of videos on how to remove a heat spreader. Frankly I wouldn't do it. You void the warranty. If you don't want...
You can buy Crucial RAM with or without heatsink. Also RAM from any of the other major RAM manufacturers is available without heatsinks. I mean the actual manufacturers of RAM. That would be Samsung, SK Hynix, Micron (Crucial), Kingston and Toshiba (now part of Bain-Apple Group). Some are easier to find on eBay. As many are generally sold directly to computer manufacturers and aftermarket upgrade brands.

Also the heatsinks are usually decorative. Unless the aftermarket memory is overclocked and overclocked enough to need a heatsink. It is just there for looks. Sometimes they act more like an insulator.

There are plenty of videos on how to remove a heat spreader. Frankly I wouldn't do it. You void the warranty. If you don't want the spreader. Buy modules without the spreader.

Solution