[SOLVED] Changing ram in current setup

Kkehlet88

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
Hey Toms,

I'm currently on the following setup, and I'm wondering how much it would mean for my peformance in games if I switch to better RAM.
If so, which onces would have the biggest change in performance ?

ASUS TUF Z490-Plus
Corsair TX750M
i9 11900k - Kraken X63 AiO
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHZ
ASUS TUF 3080

In this review, the person go from 242 to 263 FPS by going from 3200MHZ CL16 to 3600MHZ CL16
View: https://youtu.be/OMReEsxs7bk?t=203

Thanks.

Solution
Thanks for the response Third-Eye.

Well the timings are better on for example Crucial og Trident ram compared to mine.
Also my current once are without RBG, which is also something I want to invest in. And again for future safe.

Which onces would you recommend for my i9 11900k if I were to change ?

One more questions. I see a lot of guides talking about gear1 and gear2.. Is that the same as XMP1 and 2 ?
Just get whatever 3600 CL16 RGB kit looks good to you and you should be fine. Two modules is generally more stable when overclocking than four modules, so take that into consideration if you are looking to fill the ram slots or don't mind having gaps between slots. . If you decide to buy four modules, get a four module kit...
Hey Toms,

I'm currently on the following setup, and I'm wondering how much it would mean for my peformance in games if I switch to better RAM.
If so, which onces would have the biggest change in performance ?

ASUS TUF Z490-Plus
Corsair TX750M
i9 11900k - Kraken X63 AiO
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHZ
ASUS TUF 3080

In this review, the person go from 242 to 263 FPS by going from 3200MHZ CL16 to 3600MHZ CL16
View: https://youtu.be/OMReEsxs7bk?t=203

Thanks.
The majority of games won't see much improvement in FPS from 3200 to 3600 at same cas latency. Does it make sense to spend $170-200 for a new 32GB kit to maybe see up to 20fps higher performance in games that are already over 200fps? Games that are already lower fps will see an even smaller fps advantage.

Kkehlet88

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
The majority of games won't see much improvement in FPS from 3200 to 3600 at same cas latency. Does it make sense to spend $170-200 for a new 32GB kit to maybe see up to 20fps higher performance in games that are already over 200fps? Games that are already lower fps will see an even smaller fps advantage.

Well the timings are better on for example Crucial og Trident ram compared to mine.
Also my current once are without RBG, which is also something I want to invest in. And again for future safe.

One more questions. I see a lot of guides talking about gear1 and gear2.. Is that the same as XMP1 and 2 ?

Just get whatever 3600 CL16 RGB kit looks good to you and you should be fine. Two modules is generally more stable when overclocking than four modules, so take that into consideration if you are looking to fill the ram slots or don't mind having gaps between slots. . If you decide to buy four modules, get a four module kit instead of two 2x kits.

The video you linked in your first post talks about Gear 1 vs Gear 2, but essentially Gear 1 is usually a bit faster and the mode you want to use depending on ram kit speeds, but you shouldn't need to worry about that with 3600 CL16. XMP is for setting advertised memory kit overclocks. All speeds over the CPUs officially supported memory speed (3200 for your CPU) are usually considered overclocks.

Solution