[SOLVED] Changing ram slots to dual channel

Apr 10, 2020
So ive had this pc for around 3 years, and never gave myself the time to learn more about it, and when initially built the two ram sticks were placed in slot 1 and 2, and when i recently tried to place them in slot 2 and 4 i get no display, i have tried resetting the CMOS, and i have tried placing a ram stick that i know works in only slot 4 and there is no display, does this mean that it is a bad ram slot? Or is there more troubleshooting i can do to try and get dual channel.

Specs:
Motherboard: z270h gaming
Ram: vengeance ddr4 2*8gb, think it is running 3000mhz

Solution
i've glanced at some of the specs for this memory kit and nowhere does it mention "dual-channel".
these days i would assume that any 2 module kit would be, and if not that "single-channel" would be included in the model's title.
though it could just be an oversight in the product description, and they actually are dual-channel.

also, have you set their XMP profile in the BIOS or are you setting the rated specs manually?
post your complete system specs

most systems state that dual channel kits should be placed in DIMMs 2 & 4.
but, few boards also state 1 & 3.
read the motherboard manual to be sure.

there's always a chance that something was damaged in the process of removing or reseating them.
the system was shutdown and power was switched to "off" position when you reseated them?
if not, there's a chance that something has been shorted out on the board.

try each RAM module separately in each DIMM slot, one at a time. starting with slot 2, then 4, 1, 3.
if none of these configurations get the system booting again, try the RAM in another known functioning system.

also try just setting the BIOS to manufacturer defaults.

Apr 10, 2020
Complete system specs:
CPU: Intel core i5 7600K
GPU: Geforce gtx 1070
MB: Strix Z270H Gaming K1
Memory: VENGEANCE® LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15

The system boots properly with them in slot 1 and 2, it only happens when i try to switch over to 2 and 4, or 1 and 3. I have overclocked my I5 to 4800 MHz as of right now.
Going to attempt to reset bios to default settings, and attempt to get it into 2-4.
And yes the system was shutdown, power switch was switched off and power cabel was removed from the system.

Complete system specs:
CPU: Intel core i5 7600K
GPU: Geforce gtx 1070
MB: Strix Z270H Gaming K1
Memory: VENGEANCE® LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15

The system boots properly with them in slot 1 and 2, it only happens when i try to switch over to 2 and 4, or 1 and 3. I have overclocked my I5 to 4800 MHz as of right now.
Going to attempt to reset bios to default settings, and attempt to get it into 2-4.
And yes the system was shutdown, power switch was switched off and power cabel was removed from the system.

What BIOS version are you using?

i've glanced at some of the specs for this memory kit and nowhere does it mention "dual-channel".
these days i would assume that any 2 module kit would be, and if not that "single-channel" would be included in the model's title.
though it could just be an oversight in the product description, and they actually are dual-channel.

also, have you set their XMP profile in the BIOS or are you setting the rated specs manually?

Solution