[SOLVED] Changing RAM Timings, will it work?

JupiterJack

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
Hello!
I recently built my friend a new computer and he gave me his old 16GB kit. I swapped it out to test it, and its fine. Just downclocked to 2133mhz cause Intel, which is expected.
I was wondering if I could combine my old set and the new set of ram to get myself 32GB. Issue is, the RAM would be as follows:

Corsair ValueSelect CL15 2133mhz 1x8GB
SK Hynix HMA41GU6AFR8N 2133mhz 1x8GB
G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MhZ 2x8GB

(I'll let you guess which kit I received)

Should I bring the timings of the 3 best sticks down to the speed of the worst?
Considering I've already been using 2 mismatched sticks for 3 years now with no issues, do I even need to tweak the timings?
Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
You can certainly try this odd combo. Leave memory set to AUTO/default and let the motherboard negotiate the best settings. For the sake of overall stability, I would not try going above 2133.

Mixing memory can produce undesirable results. Let us know how it works out.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You can certainly try this odd combo. Leave memory set to AUTO/default and let the motherboard negotiate the best settings. For the sake of overall stability, I would not try going above 2133.

Solution

JupiterJack

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015

It seems like the BIOS knew exactly what I was doing. Just ran some tests, and its working perfect. (At least, for now lol. If anything happens I will be back :sol:)
I can finally open a 3rd tab of Chrome, Thank you so much!