Changing ram voltage without losing overclock.

markdos

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong section, if so could a mod please notify me or move it, thank you.

Hi there,

I recently purchased new ram modules for my computer and upon trying to install them discovered that I could not as the voltages of some component in my computer had been changed for an overclock.

This is my computer http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Gami [...] ctId=43843 I haven't changed any parts since purchase.

I was wondering if it would be possible to install these new sticks (they're the same as the currently installed ones)
without losing the overclock on my processor. I can navigate around a BIOS and have a limited knowledge of overclocking,
but I have never done it myself, and I am not confident in my ability to regain the current overclock safely.

I was thinking it might be possible to change the voltage of the actual ram slots but as I said my knowledge of any of this is limited.

Any help will be much appreciated as otherwise I wasted money on a necessary upgrade :??:

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

Please clarify.

markdos

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
When I installed the new ram the computer wouldn't boot up, there was just a black screen and it didn't make its usual bleep when I removed the new modules everything worked perfectly. When I contacted the company who put my computer together, they said I would be unable to add new ram without losing the current processor overclock.
I hope that clarifies things.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Have you tried to use the new ram by itself to see if it works with the OC on its own?

Sometimes filling up all the RAM slots stresses things and could make an OC unstable. There is also the possibility that the new RAM doesn't OC as well as the old, or that the old and new sets just don't "play well" together.

markdos

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I have indeed tried the new ram by itself. Its two 4 gig sticks, I've tried each of them by themselves and together. My computer just won't even load the BIOS with these sticks in.

markdos

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Yes they are the same sticks, just with larger amounts of memory. I think what has happened is, that a setting has been changed for the overclock somewhere, and the current ram modified to work on these settings. So any new ram won't work.

mt88

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
You can always try resetting your bios to factory or optimized defaults. Installing the ram and then reconfiguring your bios to get get it running OC around what you had before. Just take down the values for the OC first as a reference.

If they are the same series RAM and the same sticks it should work still.

What are the exact specs of the ram you have (Manufacturer, series, size) for both the ones in your computer and the ones you just got?

What are the specs of your computer?

TRENDING THREADS