Question Changing Refresh Rate & Back Creates Lag/flicker Until Restart

Sep 10, 2020
Hi - I just bought a new set up - 3900X, ROG Strix X570-F, 2080 Super. Trident-Z 16 G, WD Blue 1T NVME, MX500 1 T SSD, Kraken X63, 850W PSU into a Panasonix TH 55FX800z 4K TV.
I was using the 2080 Super, RAM, NVME, and PSU in my last rig with no problems.
I noticed after exiting a game my context menus were a little slower, moving mouse over lots of folders was flickery - Just generally less responsive and games like AC Odyssey perform worse than the 7700k rig, with stutters.
I eventually narrowed it down to being caused by changing the refresh rate because if I change the refresh rate down to 50 in Nvidia CP and back to 60 it happens instantly until I restart.
It also may be changing any of the screen settings resolution etc.
EDIT - Just confirmed it happens if I change the resolution even if I change it back which explains why it wrecks games 'cause I game at 1440p.
EDIT 2 - I Tried another GPU, 2060, no change and what is interesting is if I have the Windows magnifier running even if it's on zero magnification the problem goes away, but as soon as I close it it comes back, so I suppose it's a work around even if it's pretty stupid having to have that minimized constantly.
I've tried a fresh install, different versions of Windows 10, default bios, overclocked bios, stripping down Win 10 and disabling nearly everything in Win 10. I've tested to see if it happens on the 700k setup and it doesn't.
I think it's a big issue because it seems to happen when my games go into full screen and the settings change and it ruins my games.
I'm on windows 10 2004 but I've tried other versions back to 1809.
I've tried Nvidia drivers back to 442.59 up to the latest DCH and WHQL.
I have no startups or anything running in the background and wifi disabled.
I know this is hard to diagnose but I usually Google "Problem" "Tom's Hardware" "Solved" to fix things so I'm really hoping some of you guys might have some ideas as to what's causing this.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020
Can you try a monitor instead?

If it's a 4K TV, why are you changing it to 1440?
I don't think they like that.
Can you try a monitor instead?

If it's a 4K TV, why are you changing it to 1440?
I don't think they like that.

Thanks for the reply -
TV is fine I used it on my 7700k rig for a couple of years with this GPU and 2 others no problem, it never has this problem. Even now if I throw this GPU in there it's fine.
It's a high end TV with game mode Direct 4K etc, it's not an OLED but that was me over worrying about screen burn. It was Panasonic's flagship non-OLED TV when I bought it.
Why 1440p? Because I have a 2080 Super not a 2080ti and I prefer to play with all settings maxed out.
At 4k my card can't handle it with AAA games. 2080 Super is not a 4K card - Especially with Ray Tracing.
I can play Battlefield V with ray tracing on max everything on Ultra at 1440p but at 4k not a hope.
RDR2, AC Odyssey are the same, in fact most games. 1440p is fine 4k Ultra not even close.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020
Your TV - https://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/televisions/ultra-hd-tvs/th-55gx600a.specs.html - ia a 100Hz screen. That 100MHz is twice the refresh rate.

Try a 200Hz TV and see if you still have that problem.
Try a monitor.
My TV isn't an FX600a it's an FX800z it is 200mhz -
But regardless those refresh rates don't refer to actual refresh rates they refer to intelligent scene creation i.e. motion interpolation meaning inserting artificial frames in between actual frames. The actual refresh rate in Nvidia control panel is 60.
But like I said, the TV is fine with the same video card on my other PC - It's not the TV the TV is fine.
It works perfectly with my other PC.

Sep 10, 2020
https://www.panasonic.com/nz/suppor...visions/premium-ultra-hd-tvs/th-55fx800z.html says its 200Hz which means it'll run at a 100Hz refresh rate.

Why do you want to change the refresh rate?
No that refresh rate isn't like a monitor refresh rate - It's a completely different thing altogether.
I don't want to change the refresh rate - It happens when ever any changes are made, if I watch a full screen video, change the refresh rate or resolution or play a game.
My title post could have been better it's not just changing the refresh rate that's just one of many things that triggers it.
My motherboard is having issues and it's getting replaced so it may be that.
I think this post is a waste of time now no one knows the solution I've posted everywhere with no results.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
When you say "I don't want to change the refresh rate - It happens when ever any changes are made, if I watch a full screen video, change the refresh rate or resolution or play a game. " it confuses me.

I've posted everywhere with no results. - Patience and clear communication helps. I can't help if I can't understand you.

"My motherboard is having issues and it's getting replaced so it may be that. " was not in your opening post.
What issues?

Sep 10, 2020
When you say "I don't want to change the refresh rate - It happens when ever any changes are made, if I watch a full screen video, change the refresh rate or resolution or play a game. " it confuses me.

I've posted everywhere with no results. - Patience and clear communication helps. I can't help if I can't understand you.

"My motherboard is having issues and it's getting replaced so it may be that. " was not in your opening post.
What issues?
"My motherboard having issues and getting replaced" is something that has happened since the original post.
Changing the refresh rate to test the effect and wanting to change it are two different things - What is your problem?

" Patience and clear communication helps." - How many times did I tell you it's not the TV and explain why?
Yet you keep going back to the TV which you know nothing about obviously because you don't know the difference between a 60hz TV with 200hz motion interpolation and monitor.
Helping people isn't just throwing guesses out there about something you know nothing about then accusing the OP of impatience and unclear communication when you're wrong but can't admit it.
Please just go away you're either trolling or mean well but have no idea what you're talking about.
Everything you've said is just wrong sorry and yeah my patience is gone IT'S NOT THE TV!
This isn't an argument it's a tech support post I wish I could delete it but I can't so I'm not responding to you any more because it's deteriorated into a string of petty false accusations so say whatever you want to make yourself feel better about being wrong and then blaming me for it.

Last edited: