Question Changing SATA 3gb cable with 6gb cable

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Hello all!

I had a very basic question, I was just wondering will there be any issues with simply changing a 3gb sata cable with a 6gb sata cable?

My MOBO (Asus rampage 3 formula) has 6 Grey sata ports (I think 3gb) and 2 Red sata ports (I think 6gb). I swapped out the 3gb cable with a 6gb cable in the red sata port. Do I need to do anything in BIOS, any further steps? Does it matter which red port I plugged it in? 1 of 2?

When I first booted I got a post and everything, then just as the windows logo came up to load my pc shutdown instantly.

Then when I booted it up the 2nd time it booted into windows all sweet as per usual, very strange. Would changing sata cables have anything to do with this?

The only other thing I did was clean up all the extra hard drive power cables I had, the cable that has 6 or so hardrive power plugs and replaced that with a cable that only has 2 power plugs, obviously because I wont be needing the other one since I only have 1 harddrive.

DSzymborski

Titan
It's basically marketing.

This is not likely to be the problem. You'll get better answers with a detailed history of the problem and your full specs.

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
It was one that came in my motherboard box. Surprisingly it only happened the first time. Hasn't occured since. Maybe it just needed to re-initialise the change in power cable or something, after all I've had the same power cable plugged in for the past 10 years so it probably was like "WOAH WTF IS THIS...oh its another power cable, sorry, freaked out, yh just boot me up again, we sweet" lmao.

Motherboard: Asus Rampage III Formula
CPU: Intel Core i7 950
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster 212 RGB Black Edition
GPU: Leadtek GTX 570
PSU: Corsair AX850
Storage: WD1002FAEX
Case: NZXT Phantom
RAM: DDR3 GSkill Ripjaw 1333mhz

Edit: I noticed my storage config was in IDE and changed that to AHCI, if it might have anything to do with it.

Last edited:

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
So far so good. The reason why I changed sata cables was because I was getting a consistent ultra ATA CRC error count. I was connecting it to my random freezes I'd get where the pc would hang, i couldn't pull up task manager then it would kinda freeze and after a little while everything would load up. Seeing how I go so far.

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
I would declare this problem fixed, I changed sata cables and also noticed my storage configuration was IDE so changed that to AHCI and not a single error count for the past week or so....might still need a new harddrive, its starting to make a whiney kinda noise.